Mailing List Archive

stopping multiple users
I am using .htaccess to restrict who can access certain directories, is
there a mechanism that can limit the number of simultaneous users accessing
a particular directory or sub-directories ?

Ian

Re: stopping multiple users [ In reply to ]
ian.harper@vaisala.com wrote:

> I am using .htaccess to restrict who can access certain directories, is
> there a mechanism that can limit the number of simultaneous users accessing
> a particular directory or sub-directories ?

Have a look at the docs for mod_usertrack and get into cookies if you
want to snoop on the users. Also mod_throttle can slow the feed to suit
the bandwidth.

But really, the word "simultaneous" has no meaning in HTTP since every
access is an independent transaction. You don't login or anything so it
doesn't make sense to think of simultaneous users.

To put it another way, if you and I visit the same page at the same time
but from opposite sides of the world, are we simultaneous users? Perhaps
you think we are, but look at it from the webserver's point-of-view - it
receives two requests from the same page which occur very close together
in time (they can never be truly simultaneous) - do you want it to
ignore one and not the other? How would it choose? Maybe if one of us
has been there before? But what do you do while you are waiting for me
to read the page and maybe click another link - do you ignore other
customers? That would be a very unfriendly web-site to visit...

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.