Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
RE: Best way to do this [ In reply to ]
This one didn't work: http://www.apache.org/~andrewk/docs/

This one did: http://www.apache.org/~andrewk/

Fred

Re: help getting help - Re-> the best way. [ In reply to ]
At 01:31 AM 12/31/01 -0700, justken <justken@rogers.com> wrote:
>my 2 cents. actaully - it's about 5 bucks worth here, but hey! if you
>don't have time to read, skip the explanations...
>
>i'm a novice user of apache and have managed to figure it out, at least
>how to get it to do most of what i need it for, primarily from the docs it
>ships with. although hours spent studying the very well commented .conf
>file have been most helpful - and of course good old trial and error in
>the end.

It's obvious from your message that you're working your way through
learning Apache - a respectable undertaking. I also understand you're not
anxious to put down a considerable amount of cash for a book that might not
be as much help as you need. However, I will again recommend the
_Apache_Server_Bible_ by Mohammed J. Kabir, published by IDG Books. The
section about the config. files is a bit out of date, since Apache is now
recommending that everything be kept in the httpd.conf file, rather than
the 3 it used to be in, but if you just think of his descriptions as
different parts of the same file, it works just fine. In addition, he does
a good job of explaining about virtual hosts, including touching on the
all-important sendmail setup - but that's a whole 'nother can of
worms... I've found the book indispensible, and expect it will continue to
be a great resource, since it also covers topics like server load
splitting, something *every* aspiring webmaster hopes to have to deal with,
I think: Don't we all want that much traffic on our sites?

In time, online documentation will improve, but you should also remember
that in the end, a book is a lot easier to carry into the bathroom than
your 'net connection. (though even this will come to pass...)

-- Fred Koschara, President
L5 Development Group

For private sector (commercial) space development, visit
http://www.L5Development.com
L5 Software Development - "out of this world" sites and software
http://www.L5Software.com
StudioLines.com - Your place on the Internet for local music
Music, feedback, connections. Tap the power of the Internet!
http://www.StudioLines.com
How much did your last traffic ticket cost you?
http://www.StopHighwayRobbery.com
ThmIndxr(tm), the *only* HTML thumbnail/indexer you need!
http://www.L5Software.com/go?ThmIndxr
wCapLock(tm), makes CapsLock work like it does on a typewriter
http://www.L5Software.com/go?wCapLock
KeywordGo(tm), provides keyword access to your popular pages
http://www.L5Software.com/go?KeywordGo
BannerAds(tm), join multiple affiliate programs with one banner
http://www.L5Software.com/go?BannerAds
My personal Web page is http://www.L5Development.com/wfredk
Stop by some time!