Mailing List Archive

Apache/Apache-SSL clarification
Hello all,

I currently have Apache-1.3.22 on my Linux (RH7.1) system.
I have some basic web stuff, including mod_auth which I just
figured out how to use to authenticate users/passwords, etc.

However, the password is not encrypted when sent over the net.

Hence, Apache-SSL came to mind. I want to install, but before
I do.............I have a question.

Question:

1. Does Apache-SSL "lay over" the regular Apache with some SSL
type patches or
will I have "two" Apache(s)

the docs I've read are not clear to me about this.

Sorry if it's too simple.
Not a web server expert, but I'm able to do what I want to and I
want to "enhance my knowledge and server capabilities.

any help is appreciated.

thank you,

Lamar

Re: Apache/Apache-SSL clarification [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 27 Nov 2001, Lamar Seifuddin <lamarts@flash.net> wrote,

> Hello all,
>
> I currently have Apache-1.3.22 on my Linux (RH7.1) system.
> I have some basic web stuff, including mod_auth which I just
> figured out how to use to authenticate users/passwords, etc.
>
> However, the password is not encrypted when sent over the net.
>
> Hence, Apache-SSL came to mind. I want to install, but before
> I do.............I have a question.
>
> Question:
>
> 1. Does Apache-SSL "lay over" the regular Apache with some SSL
> type patches or
> will I have "two" Apache(s)

No need for the second Apache. It's just like putting a security
gate in front of your house. So you have 2 entries for visitors.
The next thing is to change the policy (httpd.conf) that for some
destinations in your house people must get through the gate.

If you don't need the security gate anymore for some reason, simply
take it away, modify the policy, and you get your original Apache
back. Just like something never happened.

san
--
Trabas - http://www.trabas.com