Mailing List Archive

env.html and a template for future docs
So, here is a second draft of my "Apache Environment Variables"
doc. It is also an example of the format I would image future
task-specific docs could take. The idea is quite simple:

1. Take a task/topic.

2. List all related modules.

3. List all related directives.

4. Provide a brief discussion of how the directives work,
and how they are related to each other. Extensive detail is not
necessary, because it should be covered in the directive definitions.

5. Provide a few examples.

I imagine the same general format could work for a whole new set
of documentation addressing things like authentication,
logging, process creation, etc. This is not meant to replace the
tutorials and books that are being written about Apache. Rather,
it is just a way to give people a fighting chance to understand the server
as a whole from the docs.

As always, comments and suggestions are welcome.

--
Joshua Slive
slive@finance.commerce.ubc.ca
Re: env.html and a template for future docs [ In reply to ]
Joshua Slive wrote:

> So, here is a second draft of my "Apache Environment Variables"
> doc.

Looks good, but a couple of suggestions:

1. Mention suexec and its restricted list of envariables.
2. Where available, reference tutorial/expansion documents
(like the 'image theft' one).

Other than that, this looks great!
--
#ken P-)}

Ken Coar <http://Golux.Com/coar/>
Apache Software Foundation <http://www.apache.org/>
"Apache Server Unleashed" <http://ApacheUnleashed.Com/>
Re: env.html and a template for future docs [ In reply to ]
Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.Coar@Golux.Com> wrote:
>Joshua Slive wrote:
>>
>> So, here is a second draft of my "Apache Environment Variables"
>> doc.
>
>Looks good, but a couple of suggestions:
>
>1. Mention suexec and its restricted list of envariables.
>2. Where available, reference tutorial/expansion documents
> (like the 'image theft' one).

Another suggestion: mention mod_rewrite's list of "environment"
variables. (mod_rewrite's environment handling is very strange.)

Tony.
--
en oeccget g mtcaa f.a.n.finch
v spdlkishrhtewe y dot@dotat.at
Re: env.html and a template for future docs [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 18 Oct 2000, Tony Finch wrote:

> >Joshua Slive wrote:
> >>
> >> So, here is a second draft of my "Apache Environment Variables"
> >> doc.
> >
> Another suggestion: mention mod_rewrite's list of "environment"
> variables. (mod_rewrite's environment handling is very strange.)

Yah, I know. I don't particularly understand it, so I sort of punted on
the documentation. I'll take a closer look when I get a chance.

Joshua.
Re: env.html and a template for future docs [ In reply to ]
Joshua Slive <slive@finance.commerce.ubc.ca> wrote:

>> Another suggestion: mention mod_rewrite's list of "environment"
>> variables. (mod_rewrite's environment handling is very strange.)
>
>Yah, I know. I don't particularly understand it, so I sort of punted on
>the documentation. I'll take a closer look when I get a chance.

mod_include does its environment stuff thus:

variables are added to the environment table by caling
ap_add_cgi_vars() and add_include_vars() for the standard
and module-specific variables respectively.

variables are looked up by pulling them from the environment
table r->subprocess_env.

mod_rewrite does it thus:

variables are not added to an environment table.

they are looked up by some special purpose code that matches
the variables known by mod_rewrite, and falls back to looking
in the environment table.

The former is the right way; the latter is gross. However mod_rewrite
gains some performance by its approach.

Fortunately everything you need to know about mod_rewrite's handling
of environment variables is contained in its lookup_variable function
which also happens to be easy to read.

Tony.