so that all directives have the same capitalization. Consistency is a
Good Thing.

Rich
Re: allow, require, deny, etc [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 9 Sep 2000, Rich Bowen wrote:

> OK, another pet peeve of mine. I know that there are historical reasons
> for having some directives start with a lowercase letter. But is there
> really any reason to continue doing this? Directive parsing is not
> case-sensitive, and we can change the documentation without changing any
> code. I'm proposing that we start using Allow, Require, Deny, and Order,
> so that all directives have the same capitalization. Consistency is a
> Good Thing.

I agree. Something that is missing from the docs (or, at least, I haven't
found it) is a discussion of the basic format of the configuration files
and how they work. There is a couple paragraphs in
http://www.apache.org/docs/invoking.html
but not much detail. For example, I don't know if it states anywhere
that directives are not case-sensitive, or that comments are
not allowed on the same line as directives. (In fact, I believe there
are even some examples in the docs of comments and directives on
the same line.)

Joshua
allow, require, deny, etc [ In reply to ]
Rich Bowen writes:
> OK, another pet peeve of mine. I know that there are historical reasons
> for having some directives start with a lowercase letter. But is there
> really any reason to continue doing this? Directive parsing is not
> case-sensitive, and we can change the documentation without changing any
> code. I'm proposing that we start using Allow, Require, Deny, and Order,
> so that all directives have the same capitalization. Consistency is a
> Good Thing.
>
> Rich

I agree -- and indeed I set them with a consistent capitalization in
the "Apache Pocket Reference".

Andrew
--
Andrew Ford, Director Ford & Mason Ltd Tel: +44 1531 829900
A.Ford@ford-mason.co.uk South Wing, Compton House Fax: +44 1531 829901