static int core_translate(...)

Thanks for all the feedback.

Bret
Re: Possible shortcut/symlink entry point [ In reply to ]
You missed a really important point I mentioned: you can do it in a
module, you don't have to touch the core. There's a reason I said that...
'cause if you write a module you don't have to do much work to maintain it
as you update the core code with new releases.

Dean

Re: Possible shortcut/symlink entry point [ In reply to ]
I *did* look at doing it w/ a module... perhaps I still misunderstand
something. Rewrite simply rewrites the url, correct? It translates one url
into another, then apache handles the new one normally, right? The problem
with this scheme is that the link system we use does *not* create urls the
server can handle... but rather things like "c:\bret\foo.html\" So what I
plan on doing is, given a url, instead of the "dumb" translation apache
does, include a simple function call that looks for shortcuts/symlinks and
provides the *true* filename.

I have no idea if this is the best way to do it, and am totally open to
suggestions. However, I only started looking at apache's source yesterday,
and also started learning about the module system yesterday as well.
Consequently, I don't have a full grasp of how everything fits together.
Please excuse any and all ignorance on my part :)

Re: Possible shortcut/symlink entry point [ In reply to ]
Look at mod_alias, it has examples of rewriting urls to files. With a
little effort you can rewrite files to files.

Dean