Mailing List Archive

WWW Form Bug Report: "file transfer" on Linux
Has anyone seen this problem? I tried it, with 3.4 MB file, and it
worked fine. No ack sent yet.

Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "file transfer" on Linux [ In reply to ]
> Has anyone seen this problem? I tried it, with 3.4 MB file, and it
> worked fine. No ack sent yet.

Timeout ?

Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "file transfer" on Linux [ In reply to ]

> Has anyone seen this problem? I tried it, with 3.4 MB file, and it
> worked fine. No ack sent yet.

I've seen the problem when using a Cern proxy server - if the proxy fails
to complete the download it caches an incomplete copy. Could this be the
roblem? I haven't forwarded this idea to the punter.

--
Ben Laurie Phone: +44 (181) 994 6435
Freelance Consultant Fax: +44 (181) 994 6472
Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "file transfer" on Linux [ In reply to ]
I've seeen this problem with a customer doing ftp. I have
experienced this problem ages ago using linux. It's definitely
something related to bugs in the SLIP/PPP implementation...

--
sameer Voice: 510-601-9777
Community ConneXion FAX: 510-601-9734
Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "file transfer" on Linux [ In reply to ]
> This is probably because (flame on) Apache does not support slow clients
> such as modems or the Internet. There is a time limit on how long a
> request can take; exceed the limit, and Apache kills your request.

One of the things I plan to look at (if I ever get time) is an
extension to Timeout.

I'd like to see separate Timeout values for,

a) reading the first line of the request
(there's no point waiting ages for this)
b) reading the rest of the request

c) how long to wait for a script to respond

d) how long to wait for a block of output to be sent

some of these may well conflict, but it's worth futher investigation.
Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "file transfer" on Linux [ In reply to ]
> At 08:59 AM 11/27/95 MST, you wrote:
> >
> >> Has anyone seen this problem? I tried it, with 3.4 MB file, and it
> >> worked fine. No ack sent yet.
> >
> >Timeout ?
>
> That's what it sounds like, but he says it only happens with apache.
> The same timeout values are working for NCSA.

NCSA timeout for send is (or was) reset after every successful send, so
Timeout there defines a maximum time which a block of output can take
to be sent.

With Apache (AFAIK), the Timeout is a "you have N seconds to send the lot"
value. So even if the transmission is slow but steady, the clock is always
counting down to zero.

The NCSA/Apache 0.6 approach is better IMO.
Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "file transfer" on Linux [ In reply to ]
I can reproduce this kind of behavour with Linux and a slow
slip connection very easily (in fact it galls my life every
other day when I forget that I should not print large PS
files from the linux box :-( )

It might very well be related to the SLIP implementation and
a time-counter wrapping round if the transfer takes to much
time (not size); here the problem goes away if we use PPP or
stick an ethernet card in the box.

Dw.

Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "file transfer" on Linux [ In reply to ]

Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "file transfer" on Linux [ In reply to ]
>When I am logged by modem, after something like
>1.5Mb of transfer of a HREF to a .mov file it
>stops. The file is 4Mb... I only receive 1.5Mb.
>This is appening to me a lots of other people
>logged by modem. If I use ws_ftp, there is no
>problem??? Could it be the MaxRequestsPerChild
>that is not 'respected'? After 30 requests it
>would die and not wait until the transfer is done?
>I beleive it is working fine by 'ethernet'
>connection.

This is probably because (flame on) Apache does not support slow clients
such as modems or the Internet. There is a time limit on how long a
request can take; exceed the limit, and Apache kills your request.

David.