Mailing List Archive

http://www.apache.org/images/apache_pb_1.0.gif
Re: http://www.apache.org/images/apache_pb_1.0.gif [ In reply to ]
> > http://www.apache.org/images/apache_pb_1.0.gif
> >
> > +1
> >
> > :-)

> Cute, It'll cause problems for people cuz:
>
> 1) they may not want people to know about the version of software
> they're using. *shrug* it happens.

% Head www.netcraft.co.uk
HTTP/1.0 302 Found
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 1995 20:35:51 GMT
Server: Apache/0.6.4b
Location: http://www.netcraft.co.uk/

Oh, you mean it's embarassing to have to admit to being way behind
the times? :-)
You can pretend to be running 1.0 if you want.

I think you're trying to protect the lazy here.

rob
Re: http://www.apache.org/images/apache_pb_1.0.gif [ In reply to ]
> http://www.apache.org/images/apache_pb_1.0.gif
>
> +1
>
> :-)

Cute, It'll cause problems for people cuz:

1) they may not want people to know about the version of software
they're using. *shrug* it happens.
2) giving the thing a different name can screw people up cuz they have to
go and edit their homepage to put the new, oh wait, er, you use
the web a lot doncha, you probably already new this...

Ay.
Re: http://www.apache.org/images/apache_pb_1.0.gif [ In reply to ]
> % Head www.netcraft.co.uk
> HTTP/1.0 302 Found
> Date: Thu, 23 Nov 1995 20:35:51 GMT
> Server: Apache/0.6.4b
> Location: http://www.netcraft.co.uk/
>
> Oh, you mean it's embarassing to have to admit to being way behind
> the times? :-)
> You can pretend to be running 1.0 if you want.
>

> I think you're trying to protect the lazy here.

Mmm, I'm trying to stop people from having to editing their damned
homepages. It's a non issue, it's clearly less hassle if we update the
graphic without changing its name. But short lives and this issue do
not sit well together so...

> rob

Heh, we've got a Shambahla running on one of our boxes too somewhere.
You can't *buy* that sort of quality these days...

Ay.

Andrew Wilson URL: http://www.cm.cf.ac.uk/User/Andrew.Wilson/
Elsevier Science, Oxford Office: +44 01865 843155 Mobile: +44 0589 616144
Re: http://www.apache.org/images/apache_pb_1.0.gif [ In reply to ]
> From owner-new-httpd@hyperreal.com Thu Nov 23 22:39:47 1995
> Date: Thu, 23 Nov 95 21:09:55 GMT
> From: Andrew Wilson <andrew@tees.elsevier.co.uk>
> To: new-httpd@hyperreal.com
> Subject: Re: http://www.apache.org/images/apache_pb_1.0.gif
>

> > % Head www.netcraft.co.uk

> > Oh, you mean it's embarassing to have to admit to being way behind
> > the times? :-)
> > You can pretend to be running 1.0 if you want.
> >
> > I think you're trying to protect the lazy here.
>
> Mmm, I'm trying to stop people from having to editing their damned
> homepages. It's a non issue, it's clearly less hassle if we update the
> graphic without changing its name. But short lives and this issue do
> not sit well together so...

diff for srm.conf-dist. And if you are serious you could even compile
it in as magic :-))

*** srm.conf Fri Nov 24 10:27:49 1995
--- srm.conf-dist Thu Nov 23 19:02:45 1995
***************
*** 118,124 ****
# Aliases: Add here as many aliases as you need (with no limit). The format is
# Alias fakename realname

- Alias /apache_driven.gif /apache_pb_1.0.gif
Alias /icons/ /usr/local/etc/httpd/icons/

# ScriptAlias: This controls which directories contain server scripts.
--- 118,123 ----
Re: http://www.apache.org/images/apache_pb_1.0.gif [ In reply to ]
Re: http://www.apache.org/images/apache_pb_1.0.gif [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 23 Nov 1995, Rob Hartill wrote:
> http://www.apache.org/images/apache_pb_1.0.gif
>
> +1

Go ahead and put it on your pages, but it's not something that needs to
be made part of the distribution.

Brian

brian@organic.com brian@hyperreal.com http://www.[hyperreal,organic].com/