Mailing List Archive

OS/2 Notes.
Hi All,
How about looking over the following comments.

Add "htm" to "text/html" in the default mime.types. May OS/2 users are
using Apache to replace a product called OS2HTTPD (a port of NCSA 1.3)
that defaulted to requiring "htm" extension not "html."

Add some links from the Apache home pages to the Apache for OS/2 pages
(http://www.slink.com/ApacheOS2/). Just to let people know the OS/2
version exists. If you get a chance please take a look at these pages
and let me know what you think.

Come up with some default documents to distribute with Apache. This
way beginners will have some documents to startout with and when we
are trying to diagnose their problems we know they have valid html
files. The documentation at apache.org would be an easy solution.

If and/or when we start working on forms and scripts to automate the
configuration of Apache write the scripts in perl. OS/2 has ports of
both perl 4 and 5. I would also like to volunteer to work on this.

Garey Smiley
SoftLink Services
garey@slink.com
http://www.slink.com/
(216)848-1312 FAX/Data(216)699-4474
Re: OS/2 Notes. [ In reply to ]
> Hi All,
> How about looking over the following comments.
>
> Add "htm" to "text/html" in the default mime.types. May OS/2 users are
> using Apache to replace a product called OS2HTTPD (a port of NCSA 1.3)
> that defaulted to requiring "htm" extension not "html."

What's wrong with AddType in srm.conf? There's an example there already.

> Add some links from the Apache home pages to the Apache for OS/2 pages
> (http://www.slink.com/ApacheOS2/). Just to let people know the OS/2
> version exists. If you get a chance please take a look at these pages
> and let me know what you think.

Mmm, nice logo. The logo refers explicitly to the 'Apache HTTP Server
Project' and to the untutored eye this looks like the authoratative
home-page for the whole project.

I'd argue that the logo should *only* be used on the www.apache.org
home page, and that some different image should be used...

http://www.apache.org/images/apache_sub.gif

...perhaps?

The OS/2 page duplicates some aspects of the www.apache.org homepage.

[.
the official Apache Project site maintains the following
information.

Background Information
Server Documentation
Project Library
The Apache FAQ
Apache Project Contributors

and is mirrored in Austria, Australia, Poland, and the Czech
Republic.
]

Again I think it's best to replace that with a link to the www.apache.org
homepage rather than attempt to provide a summary. You then don't need to
waste any time updating your page set when the www.apache.org page set
changes.

I think there should be a link from the www.apache.org page set to the
OS/2 port information. Where to put it is a separate question.

[see following post...]

> Come up with some default documents to distribute with Apache. This
> way beginners will have some documents to startout with and when we
> are trying to diagnose their problems we know they have valid html
> files. The documentation at apache.org would be an easy solution.

Do you mean 'local' documentation (something to read if they're
not connected to the net, perhaps served through your home webserver), or
a fake document set forming part of an acceptance test suite - to be
sure that your newly installed system is working properly.

> If and/or when we start working on forms and scripts to automate the
> configuration of Apache write the scripts in perl. OS/2 has ports of
> both perl 4 and 5. I would also like to volunteer to work on this.

Feel free I guess ;) NCSA are working on some kind of forms
configuration doo-dah already I understand. Can you steal stuff
from them if it's useful ;) It might be worth making a plea to likeminded
people on the c.i.w.foo lists, I'm sure someone's already done the work.
If you download the Netsite server (for a 60 day trial) you can get some
clues from the interface that comes with their system.

> Garey Smiley

Ay.
Re: OS/2 Notes. [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 19 Nov 1995 17:54:11 +0000 (GMT) you wrote:

>> Add "htm" to "text/html" in the default mime.types. May OS/2 users are
>> using Apache to replace a product called OS2HTTPD (a port of NCSA 1.3)
>> that defaulted to requiring "htm" extension not "html."
>
>What's wrong with AddType in srm.conf? There's an example there already.

Either would work the mime.types seemed the better place to me.

>> Add some links from the Apache home pages to the Apache for OS/2 pages
>> (http://www.slink.com/ApacheOS2/). Just to let people know the OS/2
>> version exists. If you get a chance please take a look at these pages
>> and let me know what you think.
>
>Mmm, nice logo. The logo refers explicitly to the 'Apache HTTP Server
>Project' and to the untutored eye this looks like the authoratative
>home-page for the whole project.
>
>I'd argue that the logo should *only* be used on the www.apache.org
>home page, and that some different image should be used...
>
> http://www.apache.org/images/apache_sub.gif
>
>...perhaps?

If this group can give me some sort of guide I'll be happy to complie.

>The OS/2 page duplicates some aspects of the www.apache.org homepage.
>
> [.
> the official Apache Project site maintains the following
> information.
>
> Background Information
> Server Documentation
> Project Library
> The Apache FAQ
> Apache Project Contributors
>
> and is mirrored in Austria, Australia, Poland, and the Czech
> Republic.
> ]
>
>Again I think it's best to replace that with a link to the www.apache.org
>homepage rather than attempt to provide a summary. You then don't need to
>waste any time updating your page set when the www.apache.org page set
>changes.

Several links to the http://www.apache.org/ exist. The summary was
mostly to let peolpe know that they should look to that site for more
detailed information.

>I think there should be a link from the www.apache.org page set to the
>OS/2 port information. Where to put it is a separate question.
>
> [see following post...]
>
>> Come up with some default documents to distribute with Apache. This
>> way beginners will have some documents to startout with and when we
>> are trying to diagnose their problems we know they have valid html
>> files. The documentation at apache.org would be an easy solution.
>
>Do you mean 'local' documentation (something to read if they're
>not connected to the net, perhaps served through your home webserver), or
>a fake document set forming part of an acceptance test suite - to be
>sure that your newly installed system is working properly.

I think including a docs directory with a default index.html file that
welcomes them to using Apache plus a link to a docs/apachedocs
directory that contains the apache documentation. A test suite could
probably come latter.

>> If and/or when we start working on forms and scripts to automate the
>> configuration of Apache write the scripts in perl. OS/2 has ports of
>> both perl 4 and 5. I would also like to volunteer to work on this.
>
>Feel free I guess ;) NCSA are working on some kind of forms
>configuration doo-dah already I understand. Can you steal stuff
>from them if it's useful ;) It might be worth making a plea to likeminded
>people on the c.i.w.foo lists, I'm sure someone's already done the work.
>If you download the Netsite server (for a 60 day trial) you can get some
>clues from the interface that comes with their system.

Thanks for the info I'll take a look at Netsite.