Mailing List Archive

Re: security bug?
Do we have an answer for this? Are we? Are we not going to fix it?

<Aram>

Re: security bug? [ In reply to ]
Tell them that there are two ways to deal with the situation. The first
is that they can simply move their cgi-bin directory out of DocumentRoot.
If they do that, the problme will vanish.

Alternatively, if they think they can't move the directory, they can just
drop a .htaccess file in the directory which says

DefaultType application/x-httpd-cgi
Options ExecCGI

(or, alternatively, add those to the <Directory> section for that directory
in access.conf). This should also make the problem vanish.

rst
Re: security bug? [ In reply to ]
I have forwarded the two solutions I mentioned earlier to
craig@netcentral.net, along with an attempt to explain the difficulties
in concocting an effective "fix" --- that it is highly likely to screw
up something else, and very difficult to come up with something that
we can be *sure* will make his arrangement (cgi-bin under DocumentRoot)
safe.

For instance, none of the "fixes" mentioned on this list to date will
suppress the effect he finds objectionable for paths of the form
/./cgi-bin/whatever --- doubled slashes are far from the only way to
violate the security of an improperly placed cgi-bin --- and if it's
properly placed, so that *matching* the ScriptAlias is the only way
to get there, then you just don't have to worry.

I think we serve users in his position better by letting them know
how to play it safe than by providing the illusion of safety when they
choose to play it fast and loose.

rst
Re: security bug? [ In reply to ]
forwarding message on the request of the user. Please do read it.