Mailing List Archive

Re: Has someone written an Apache online administration tool?
From c.i.w.s.u

nschrenk@ux4.cso.uiuc.edu (Schrenk Nathan W) wrote:
>I'm in the preliminary stages of development on an online administration
>tool for Apache that will be similar to the administration tool that
>comes with Netsite. I was wondering if anyone else was undertaking such
>and effort, and if so, where I might find more information on their project.
>I don't want to duplicate something that's already been done, and I plan
>on completing such a tool if one doesn't already exist (and is freely
>available).
>
>For those of you who aren't familiar with Netsite's administration tool,
>it is a collection of CGI programs accessed through a unified interface
>that allow the server administrator to perform almost every administrative
>task related to the HTTP server. A few things that the Netsite tool allows
>you to do, and that I plan on supporting with my project are:
>
> - add/remove/change aliasing, turn on CGI in directories, etc
> - manage user authentication databases
> - manage access control for various areas of the server
> - restart or shutdown the server
> - edit MIME types/extension mappings that the server recognizes
> - modify virtual host configurations independently
> - modify process control settings (MaxSpareServers, etc)
> - customize error messges, etc.
> ... and basically every other config file setting that Apache has.
>
>I imagine that this will be easily adaptable to NCSA httpd, and possibly
>other servers as well. Any thoughts on this tool? Would you find it useful?
>What features would be most important to you?
>
>On a somehwat different topic, has anyone written a module or come up with
>a way to do Netsite-style document trailers with Apache? I administer a
>server with a fairly large number of documents and directories, many with
>a custom trailer appended to them and I'd like to migrate this over to
>an Apache server fairly painlessly. If it comes down it it, I'll probably
>write a module to add trailer support into Apache if there's no easier
>solution.
>
>Thanks for your input,
>
>Nathan Schrenk
>nschrenk@neog.com

Sounds nice to me - anyone aware of any similar developments?

Cheers,

Ben.

---
Ben Laurie, Freelance Consultant and | Phone: +44 (181) 994 6435
Technical Director, A.L. Digital Ltd, | Fax: +44 (181) 994 6472
London, England +44 (181) 742 0755 | Email: ben@algroup.co.uk
Re: Has someone written an Apache online administration tool? [ In reply to ]

> Sounds nice to me - anyone aware of any similar developments?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ben.
>

> ---
> Ben Laurie, Freelance Consultant and | Phone: +44 (181) 994 6435
> Technical Director, A.L. Digital Ltd, | Fax: +44 (181) 994 6472
> London, England +44 (181) 742 0755 | Email: ben@algroup.co.uk

We've got a forms based one that should be going out with our 1.5 release
(if it ever comes out of beta :^). You might be able to use it with only
minor modifications to account for differences in some of the new configuration
keywords.

-Beth

--
Elizabeth(Beth) Frank