Re: Bug with Apache 8.1.14 (fwd) [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 30 Oct 95 15:52 GMT you wrote:

>This patch should help diagnose the problem; can folks vote on it please?
>
>38_pid.0.8.15.patch

+1

Garey Smiley
SoftLink Services
garey@slink.com
http://www.slink.com/
(216)848-1312 FAX/Data(216)699-4474
Re: Bug with Apache 8.1.14 (fwd) [ In reply to ]
> Date: Tue, 24 Oct 95 22:33:32 0400
> From: "Mark J. Lilback" <mlilback@intr.net>
> Subject: Bug with Apache 8.1.14
>
> I'm working on upgrading from .65 to .8.14 and am running in to what
> appears to be a problem with Virtual Servers. We've got 14 virtual
> servers running, and I've set a RefererLog and AgentLog in 13 of them.
>
> The problem is that when I try to start the server, I get the error
> message
>
> "# httpd: could not log pid to file /www/servers/apache/logs/httpd.pid"
>
> When I comment out the last RefererLog command in httpd.conf, it starts
> fine. I've tried putting the entry with no RefererLog last, and it makes
> no difference. And it's not the last one listed because it works no
> matter which virtual server's RefererLog I comment out -- as long as one
> of them is commented, it starts fine.
>
> Heard of this? Is there something stupid I'm missing?

This patch should help diagnose the problem; can folks vote on it please?

38_pid.0.8.15.patch
Subject: Add error message when cannot open pidfile
Affects: mod_auth.c
ChangeLog: Report the errno when the pidfile cannot be opened.
Comments: There have been two reports of apache dying with 'could not log pid
to file'. This should help diagnose the problem.

*** http_log.c.orig Tue Oct 10 23:03:31 1995
--- http_log.c Mon Oct 30 15:43:43 1995
***************
*** 108,113 ****
--- 108,114 ----
if (!pid_fname) return;
pid_fname = server_root_relative (p, pid_fname);
if(!(pid_file = fopen(pid_fname,"w"))) {
+ perror("fopen");
fprintf(stderr,"httpd: could not log pid to file %s\n", pid_fname);
exit(1);
}
Re: Bug with Apache 8.1.14 (fwd) [ In reply to ]

> > Date: Tue, 24 Oct 95 22:33:32 0400
> > From: "Mark J. Lilback" <mlilback@intr.net>
> > Subject: Bug with Apache 8.1.14
> >
> > I'm working on upgrading from .65 to .8.14 and am running in to what
> > appears to be a problem with Virtual Servers. We've got 14 virtual
> > servers running, and I've set a RefererLog and AgentLog in 13 of them.
> >
> > The problem is that when I try to start the server, I get the error
> > message
> >
> > "# httpd: could not log pid to file /www/servers/apache/logs/httpd.pid"
> >
> > When I comment out the last RefererLog command in httpd.conf, it starts
> > fine. I've tried putting the entry with no RefererLog last, and it makes
> > no difference. And it's not the last one listed because it works no
> > matter which virtual server's RefererLog I comment out -- as long as one
> > of them is commented, it starts fine.
> >
> > Heard of this? Is there something stupid I'm missing?
>
> This patch should help diagnose the problem; can folks vote on it please?
>
> 38_pid.0.8.15.patch
> Subject: Add error message when cannot open pidfile
> Affects: mod_auth.c
> ChangeLog: Report the errno when the pidfile cannot be opened.
> Comments: There have been two reports of apache dying with 'could not log pid
> to file'. This should help diagnose the problem.
>
> *** http_log.c.orig Tue Oct 10 23:03:31 1995
> --- http_log.c Mon Oct 30 15:43:43 1995
> ***************
> *** 108,113 ****
> --- 108,114 ----
> if (!pid_fname) return;
> pid_fname = server_root_relative (p, pid_fname);
> if(!(pid_file = fopen(pid_fname,"w"))) {
> + perror("fopen");
> fprintf(stderr,"httpd: could not log pid to file %s\n", pid_fname);
> exit(1);
> }

+1

--
Ben Laurie Phone: +44 (181) 994 6435
Freelance Consultant Fax: +44 (181) 994 6472