prettier on GitHub.

I almost just CTR'ed it, but it occurred to me that someone might find
this objectionable, so I thought I'd ask first.
Re: PR #363 [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jan 24, 2024 at 10:06:43AM -0500, rbowen@rcbowen.com wrote:
> I've been poking at some of our open PRs looking for docs-only changes
> that we can possibly clean up.
>
> PR #363 - https://github.com/apache/httpd/pull/363 - converts README
> from plaintext to markdown, and makes no other changes. This makes it
> prettier on GitHub.
>
> I almost just CTR'ed it, but it occurred to me that someone might find
> this objectionable, so I thought I'd ask first.

I don't have strong opinions on this, but we'll end up with a READNE
that's less readable for those not viewing it through github.

vh

Mads Toftum
--
http://flickr.com/photos/q42/
Re: PR #363 [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jan 24, 2024 at 4:56?PM Mads Toftum <mads@toftum.dk> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 24, 2024 at 10:06:43AM -0500, rbowen@rcbowen.com wrote:
> > I've been poking at some of our open PRs looking for docs-only changes
> > that we can possibly clean up.
> >
> > PR #363 - https://github.com/apache/httpd/pull/363 - converts README
> > from plaintext to markdown, and makes no other changes. This makes it
> > prettier on GitHub.
> >
> > I almost just CTR'ed it, but it occurred to me that someone might find
> > this objectionable, so I thought I'd ask first.
>
> I don't have strong opinions on this, but we'll end up with a READNE
> that's less readable for those not viewing it through github.

Maybe we could keep the line breaks as before for the text to keep it
as readable as before w/o a markdown viewer?

Regards;
Yann.
Re: PR #363 [ In reply to ]
With GFM, each line break separates paragraphs.

Joe Schaefer, Ph.D.
<https://sunstarsys.com/orion/features>
Orion - The Enterprise Jamstack Wiki <https://sunstarsys.com/orion/features>
<joe@sunstarsys.com>
954.253.3732 <//954.253.3732>

Re: PR #363 [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2024-01-24 at 17:01 +0100, Yann Ylavic wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 24, 2024 at 4:56?PM Mads Toftum <mads@toftum.dk> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Jan 24, 2024 at 10:06:43AM -0500, rbowen@rcbowen.com wrote:
> > > I've been poking at some of our open PRs looking for docs-only
> > > changes
> > > that we can possibly clean up.
> > >
> > > PR #363 - https://github.com/apache/httpd/pull/363 - converts
> > > README
> > > from plaintext to markdown, and makes no other changes. This
> > > makes it
> > > prettier on GitHub.
> > >
> > > I almost just CTR'ed it, but it occurred to me that someone might
> > > find
> > > this objectionable, so I thought I'd ask first.
> >
> > I don't have strong opinions on this, but we'll end up with a
> > READNE
> > that's less readable for those not viewing it through github.
>
> Maybe we could keep the line breaks as before for the text to keep it
> as readable as before w/o a markdown viewer?

Yeah, I've done that in my local copy of the patch.

So this is basically changing:

Whossname
---------

## Whossname

Which really doesn't change much in plain text mode.
Re: PR #363 [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jan 24, 2024 at 5:07?PM <rbowen@rcbowen.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2024-01-24 at 17:01 +0100, Yann Ylavic wrote:

> > > I don't have strong opinions on this, but we'll end up with a
> > > READNE
> > > that's less readable for those not viewing it through github.
> >
> > Maybe we could keep the line breaks as before for the text to keep it
> > as readable as before w/o a markdown viewer?
>
> Yeah, I've done that in my local copy of the patch.
>
> So this is basically changing:
>
> Whossname
> ---------

> ## Whossname
>
> Which really doesn't change much in plain text mode.

Agreed, the main readability issue (in plain text mode) is long lines
IMHO, headings/links do not read so bad.
Re: PR #363 [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jan 24, 2024 at 11:07:12AM -0500, rbowen@rcbowen.com wrote:
> So this is basically changing:
>
> Whossname
> ---------

> ## Whossname
>
> Which really doesn't change much in plain text mode.

Then it's not a problem.

vh

Mads Toftum
--
http://flickr.com/photos/q42/
Re: PR #363 [ In reply to ]
Well, it turns out that in order for this to actually work, we would need
to rename README to README.md, so I'm inclined to revert this change unless
someone thinks differently.

Rich

Re: PR #363 [ In reply to ]
On 1/24/24 11:31 PM, Rich Bowen wrote:
> Well, it turns out that in order for this to actually work, we would need to rename README to README.md, so I'm inclined to revert
> this change unless someone thinks differently.

How about using a symlink? Keep README and create a README.md symlink to it?
But I am not sure if github handles this correctly.

Regards

Rüdiger
Re: PR #363 [ In reply to ]
On 1/25/24 8:04 AM, Ruediger Pluem wrote:

> On 1/24/24 11:31 PM, Rich Bowen wrote:
>> Well, it turns out that in order for this to actually work, we would need to rename README to README.md, so I'm inclined to revert
>> this change unless someone thinks differently.
>
> How about using a symlink? Keep README and create a README.md symlink to it?
> But I am not sure if github handles this correctly.

Tried it in r1915391 and it seems to work. Not sure if there are general downsides / objections with regards to symlinks in our
repository. But trunk is CTR :-).

Regards

Rüdiger
Re: PR #363 [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jan 25, 2024 at 08:12:24AM +0100, Ruediger Pluem wrote:
> Tried it in r1915391 and it seems to work. Not sure if there are
> general downsides / objections with regards to symlinks in our
> repository. But trunk is CTR :-).

Oh, that looks really nice. +1

Thanks to you, Rich, and Mayank Patil.

Regards, Joe
Re: PR #363 [ In reply to ]
I wouldn't mind move/rename to README.md

Re: PR #363 [ In reply to ]
+1

Re: PR #363 [ In reply to ]
+1 for the change. It is still pretty readable on any edtor.

------ Originalnachricht ------
Von rbowen@rcbowen.com
An "dev@httpd.apache.org" <dev@httpd.apache.org>
Datum 24.01.2024 16:06:43