So I vote +1 on a release of 0.8.15 under the version
number 1.0 this Sunday...

vote or veto please.
Re: 1.0 plans [ In reply to ]
At 03:05 PM 10/19/95 MDT, you wrote:

>Does anyone consider the bugs being fixed by patches in /for_Apache_0.8.15
>to be showstoppers?

Hmmm.. I guess this depends on your site. Some people need
the symbolic links to work, some need .htm files to come up.
Different degrees.

>So I vote +1 on a release of 0.8.15 under the version
>number 1.0 this Sunday...
>
>vote or veto please.

+1 Here. Let get the sucker out the door already. Do we have any
patches against 0.8.15 yet?

<Aram>
Re: 1.0 plans [ In reply to ]
Re: 1.0 plans [ In reply to ]

> David's svr4 patch is a showstopper for some OSs, like newer UnixWare, so
> I'd suggest including that, anyway.
>
> +1 with that stipulation.

The same applies to the QNX patch.

--
Ben Laurie Phone: +44 (181) 994 6435
Freelance Consultant Fax: +44 (181) 994 6472
Re: 1.0 plans [ In reply to ]
Well, I'd prefer to hold off until we have a good release candidate
(the svr4 patch at least seems to be needed), which has had a public
tryout (NB 0.8.14 is still the default public release) --- just
because we're near the end of this road isn't a reason to test new
code any *less*.

(It may help to remember the poor slob at AT&T who spotted something
obviously wrong with the ESS code he was working on, and dropped in
a simple fix which clearly improved the situation. The code was so
obviously correct that it didn't need the full battery of tests; it
was just dropped into the system, and seemed to be working fine until
it brought down the entire AT&T long-distance network).

At the very least, let's have whatever we're going to release as 1.0
up as a public release for a couple of days first --- NB 0.8.15 still
is not. If we're going to have a revised set of docs, I'd also prefer
to wait until those have had a group review, to chase out what
typographical errors may have crept in... there are few things that
look less professional than doc bugs (say, the omission of a crucial
"not", which I can say from experience is all too easy to commit), and
avoiding that is worth some time and effort.

rst
Re: 1.0 plans [ In reply to ]

> > > David's svr4 patch is a showstopper for some OSs, like newer UnixWare, so
> > > I'd suggest including that, anyway.
> > >
> > > +1 with that stipulation.
> >
> > The same applies to the QNX patch.
>
> If it's a showstopper, then the comments to describe it fail to convey that...

> Comments: This patch also removes some redundant headers (not gratuitously,
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> they had to go on QNX anyway, and were already included in some other
> local header). It also adds a debugging convenience; SIGSEGV and SIGBUS
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> are not caught when in debug mode (-X flag). This makes running under
> some debuggers better.
>

> Those statements don't suggest any kind of urgency.
> I suppose the "This patch also" is the key phrase there.

Also the "Comments:" as opposed to "Changelog:". Though whether there is any
justification for splitting comments from change logs is another question.

> Can you strip it down to just a patch for a QNX port? and leave the
> rest for another day.

I can certainly leave the rest for another day, the rest being only the
debugging change - the headers need something done to them, and flagging them
out for QNX seems pointless when they are redundant. They should just be
removed, no?

This patch is a showstopper for QNX in that you cannot compile on QNX without
it.

The debugging change is nice under both QNX and SCO - QNX is completely
unable to do a stack backtrace from a caught signal, and SCO skips up the
stack to the innermost call.

> rob

Cheers,

Ben.

Re: 1.0 plans [ In reply to ]
> -1 for a release on Sunday, as hyperreal will be down then. 8-(
>
> Actaully, I think that we should not release 1.0 without the 30_svr4
> patch. We will probably have binaries for the affected systems, which
> will be built using a patched version of the source. It would be daft
> to release source that couldn't be used to compile binaries for some
> systems.

Okey dokey.

Can someone work out a timetable for 1.0 then. Unless someone does it
we'll be sitting around for some time to come.

30_srv4 is simple enough to drop in, and those who can test it will
already have done so by now I guess.

Network problems delayed my mail until after Brian mentioned the power
outage. The networks are pretty unreliable these days. Anyone else
noticing this?
Re: 1.0 plans [ In reply to ]
It's nearly done. I'm hoping to copy it back to hyperreal very soon;

That would be nice, but I'd prefer for it not to replace the existing
docs until after we've had a chance to give them a once over... a docs-new
directory, or some such, might be the best way to do this. (I believe
Andrew has concurred with me on this...).

rst

[. I'm trying to look them over now from your site, but the net connection
is making that painful ]
Re: 1.0 plans [ In reply to ]

Re: 1.0 plans [ In reply to ]
Rob:
> Does anyone consider the bugs being fixed by patches in /for_Apache_0.8.15
> to be showstoppers?
>
> I don't, and am happy to release 0.8.15 as 1.0 in the very near future,
> perhaps at the weekend. We lost a couple of days on the Oct 20th timetable,
> so how about Sunday 22nd?
>
> 1.0 is stable. It has minor bugs, but what server doesn't?.
>
> Once we have a 1.0 available, we can go to town on all the features that
> have so far been on hold, and keep 1.0 as a "use this if you're worried"
> fallback, which is what 0.6.5 is doing now.
>

> So I vote +1 on a release of 0.8.15 under the version
> number 1.0 this Sunday...

> vote or veto please.

The file/virtual problem isn't a 'show stopper' but it'll necessitate 1.0.1
almost immediately to fix the oversight. You wanna look stupid? Remember
ideally we wouldn't release another 'stable' server for quite a while.

-1

Ay

Re: 1.0 plans [ In reply to ]
> Network problems delayed my mail until after Brian mentioned the power
> outage. The networks are pretty unreliable these days. Anyone else
> noticing this?

Hi Rob, welcome to the internet. You're new to all this I take it.

Ay.
Re: 1.0 plans [ In reply to ]
>If we're going to have a revised set of docs, I'd also prefer
>to wait until those have had a group review, to chase out what
>typographical errors may have crept in... there are few things that
>look less professional than doc bugs (say, the omission of a crucial
>"not", which I can say from experience is all too easy to commit), and
>avoiding that is worth some time and effort.

I've put a snap-shot of the latest docs on
<URL:http://www.ast.cam.ac.uk/~drtr/apache/>

(The only differences are in the 'Server Documentation' directory.)

It's nearly done. I'm hoping to copy it back to hyperreal very soon;

I've held back slightly because of the few incompatibility bugs that
I've turned up; currently I've documented the (my) desired behaviour, rather
than the actual 0.8.15 behaviour.

David.
Re: 1.0 plans [ In reply to ]
>> It's nearly done. I'm hoping to copy it back to hyperreal very soon;
>
>That would be nice, but I'd prefer for it not to replace the existing
>docs until after we've had a chance to give them a once over... a docs-new
>directory, or some such, might be the best way to do this. (I believe
>Andrew has concurred with me on this...).

Sure.

>[. I'm trying to look them over now from your site, but the net connection
> is making that painful ]

It's even more painful coming the other way and trying to work interactively
on hyperreal...

I guess I could try to put up the snap-shot...

David.