garey@slink.com
http://www.slink.com/
(216)848-1312 FAX/Data(216)699-4474
Re: OS/2 Review [ In reply to ]
> Hi All,
> Has anyone gotten the chance to look through my OS/2 port and
> consider it for inclusion?

I had a quick look this week. How feasible do you think it'd be to maintain
an OS2 jumbo-patch in parrallel with the Apache development - I mean in terms
of your time.

When 1.0 comes out you could release a 1.0_OS2 using that patch. In the
meantime I think that there's a distinct chance that we'll see a lot of deep
modification in Apache post 1.0. As well as 1001 minor functional enhancements
all queuing up to be applied we also have more fundamental issues like:

o source-wide code clean up
o SSL, SHTTP support
o OS independence (I'm not sure if this is really a group favorite,
nonetheless I'd at least like to see the beginnings of a stable
OS2, NT, Mac family by the end of the year)

Full OS independence, meaning a set of base source and an additional
<platform>.c library [or, god-knows, some other model] is probably
not gonna happen before 2.0, at least 6 months from now. Furthermore
it'll require a definate change in the way the project is managed.

Ultimately I think we have to chose wheather to proceed in bloating the
code-base for each new platform variant that comes along - or design
the server round the idea of a 'virtual platform' which needs software drivers
to map on to the real platform.

To return to the OS2 question.

1) I think it's too early to include the OS2 modifications in the
Apache source.

2) I think we *should* give promenence to the OS2 port, as a set of
patches against a stable version of the server, and with a view
to bringing them in to the distributed sources at a later date.
We stand to learn an awful lot about the basic design of Apache
by a close association with non-UNIX projects.

Does this seem fair?

> Garey Smiley

Ay.
Re: OS/2 Review [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 6 Oct 95 11:28:44 BST you wrote:

>> Hi All,
>> Has anyone gotten the chance to look through my OS/2 port and
>> consider it for inclusion?
>
>I had a quick look this week. How feasible do you think it'd be to maintain
>an OS2 jumbo-patch in parrallel with the Apache development - I mean in terms
>of your time.

Its not currently a problem since I'm using the code in a production
enviornment (my time is paid for). Why did you refer to it as a
jumbo-patch? My modifications where limited, except for mod_cgi.c and
their I mostly added support for OS/2 REXX scripts. PERL scripts also
work properly.

>To return to the OS2 question.
>
>1) I think it's too early to include the OS2 modifications in the
> Apache source.

Too early in what way. I've had Apache ported since 0.6.3, though it
may be to late to be included in release 1.0.

>2) I think we *should* give promenence to the OS2 port, as a set of
> patches against a stable version of the server, and with a view
> to bringing them in to the distributed sources at a later date.
> We stand to learn an awful lot about the basic design of Apache
> by a close association with non-UNIX projects.

Currently the OS/2 Apache port is the fast public domain/shareware
HTTP server, and I will soon be benchmarking it against IBM's
commerical server.

>Does this seem fair?

SURE. Just let me know if you think and of my changes should be
rewritten to make supporting them easier.

Garey Smiley
SoftLink Services
Re: OS/2 Review [ In reply to ]
> Why did you refer to it as a
> jumbo-patch? My modifications where limited, except for mod_cgi.c and
> their I mostly added support for OS/2 REXX scripts. PERL scripts also
> work properly.

Sorry, 'jumbo' as in bigger than mine, and touching many files. (most of
my patches have been one-liners ;).

> >1) I think it's too early to include the OS2 modifications in the
> > Apache source.
>
> Too early in what way. I've had Apache ported since 0.6.3, though it
> may be to late to be included in release 1.0.

Just a gut feeling. The patches may be stable, but Apache's design isn't
IMHO. Heck, if one considers OS2 to be just another UNIX then it doesn't
make much difference how the patches are maintained. In that sense 1.0.1
would be a good candidate for the OS2 stuff.

> >2) I think we *should* give promenence to the OS2 port, as a set of
> > patches against a stable version of the server, and with a view
> > to bringing them in to the distributed sources at a later date.
> > We stand to learn an awful lot about the basic design of Apache
> > by a close association with non-UNIX projects.
>
> Currently the OS/2 Apache port is the fast public domain/shareware
> HTTP server, and I will soon be benchmarking it against IBM's
> commerical server.

Cool.

> Garey Smiley

Cheers,