Mailing List Archive

Yet more Linux woes
Do we need to have a set of pre-compiled binaries for each platform ?

I can't see any problem doing this, so unless there's an object, can
we agree on what options to compile with then upload our binaries ?

BTW, for this to work well, common features such as XBITHACK should be
made a config option (assuming it hasn't already) so that we don't
need multiple versions of binaries (basic/dbm auth could cause trouble).

Here's a Linux user in need of assistance. If anyone wants to help him,
please contact him directly, having me as the middle man only introduces
confusion and delay.

Re: Yet more Linux woes [ In reply to ]
I sent this guy a couple of suggestions, and asked for a couple of things,
does anyone want a cc of the messages?

Re: Yet more Linux woes [ In reply to ]

> Do we need to have a set of pre-compiled binaries for each platform ?
>
> I can't see any problem doing this, so unless there's an object, can
> we agree on what options to compile with then upload our binaries ?

I think this is a good idea.

I feel that we should compile with *every* distributed module loaded.
If we don't put the features in, someone will just report that it
doesn't work.

I can supply NetBSD, BSDI_1.1 (and 2.0 if needed), and SunOS 4.1.x (who can't)

Re: Yet more Linux woes [ In reply to ]
At 08:27 AM 8/23/95 -0500, you wrote:

>> Do we need to have a set of pre-compiled binaries for each platform ?
>>
>> I can't see any problem doing this, so unless there's an object, can
>> we agree on what options to compile with then upload our binaries ?
>
>I think this is a good idea.
>
>I feel that we should compile with *every* distributed module loaded.
>If we don't put the features in, someone will just report that it
>doesn't work.
>
>I can supply NetBSD, BSDI_1.1 (and 2.0 if needed), and SunOS 4.1.x (who can't)

Linux 1.2 ( lib 4.6) here.
Re: Yet more Linux woes [ In reply to ]
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 1995 08:27:34 -0500
From: Randy Terbush <randy@zyzzyva.com>

I think this is a good idea.

I feel that we should compile with *every* distributed module loaded.
If we don't put the features in, someone will just report that it
doesn't work.

Would this include the experimental modules, and the NCSA
miscellaneous-log compatibility stuff? (NB that if that stuff's
compiled in, it does become active, logging to its default filenames).

[. The DBM auth stuff is also optional, but that's only because not
everyone has the necessary libraries; so long as we do, it's not
a problem for putting distributions together. However, it's
possible that knottier issues like this might arise with other
interfaces to third-party libraries or products in the future... ]

rst