available online at apache.org/ ?

Let the folks ask to be added of course.

rob
Re: user list [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 16 Aug 1995, Rob Hartill wrote:
> Anyone have objections to having a list of sites that run Apache
> available online at apache.org/ ?
>
> Let the folks ask to be added of course.

Sounds good to me! Who wants to volunteer to maintain it?

Brian

brian@organic.com brian@hyperreal.com http://www.[hyperreal,organic].com/
Re: user list [ In reply to ]
> > > Let the folks ask to be added of course.
> >
> > Sounds good to me! Who wants to volunteer to maintain it?
>
> D00ds, before you all bust a gut. I've been working on a "Who's using

> Incidentally your list is going to be rather large, well in excess of 600.

I bet <10% of the server maintainers will *ask* to be on the list.

I was thinking along the lines of a list of names and brief descriptions

e.g.

<DT><A HREF="http://xxx.lanl.gov/">XXX e-Print Archives</A></DT>
<DD>International archive of electronic papers for Physics and more.</DD>

rather than just,

<DT><A HREF="http://xxx.lanl.gov/">xxx.lanl.gov</A> Apache 0.8.6</DT>

which I guess is what your list would report.

I'm sure the lists would compliment each other rather than compete.

Andy, any problem with that ?

rob
--
http://nqcd.lanl.gov/~hartill/
Re: user list [ In reply to ]
> Well, the information's free till the inevitable time comes when sys-admins
> screen the HEAD output for hackable clues. Then the survey will be useless,
> cuz noone'll be able to tell who's running what.

You could determine the server from header characteristics
if you were persistent enough.

> [incidentally rob, what *is* Server: LANL/1.0 anyway ;)]

{ http://www.lanl.gov -> LANL/1.0 }

The powers that be at the lab made the decission to opt for
an in-house server.

This was early on in the www game, and they never got wise to the
fact that they were reinventing the wheel, then constantly playing
catchup as the wheel rolled down the hill in front of them.

They were looking at Apache a few weeks ago. I've done my best to
educate them :-)

> I guess this Apache user's list is more of a list of the prime users,

people will ask to be on the list, so riff raff will be inevitable.

> Oh is it right? Do all the Movie DB sites run Apache now?

Not quite. The Korean mirror has yet to come out of the dark ages.

rob
Re: user list [ In reply to ]
> On Wed, 16 Aug 1995, Rob Hartill wrote:
> > Anyone have objections to having a list of sites that run Apache
> > available online at apache.org/ ?
> >
> > Let the folks ask to be added of course.

> Sounds good to me! Who wants to volunteer to maintain it?

Okay I volunteer Rob McCool to maintain it. Can I do that ?

Send me HTML to glue into the list
http://www.apache.org/info/apache_users.html

in the form

<DT><A HREF="url">Location/Organization/whatever</A></DT>
<DD>up to 80 characters of description</DD>

I'll add them in alphabetical order based on the link name.

The list isn't linked into the rest of the pages, so if it sucks we
won't put it online.

rob
Re: user list [ In reply to ]
> On Wed, 16 Aug 1995, Rob Hartill wrote:
> > Anyone have objections to having a list of sites that run Apache
> > available online at apache.org/ ?
> >
> > Let the folks ask to be added of course.
>
> Sounds good to me! Who wants to volunteer to maintain it?

D00ds, before you all bust a gut. I've been working on a "Who's using
what" survey. It's going to be announced shortly and will be a weekly
thing (like top of the pops eh rob?) running automatically and generally
letting you do neat stuff like asking who in the Apache userbase is using
pre 0.6.5 versions of the code. Graphs, tables, buttons to press all that
sort of nonsense.

I don't want to give too much away, cuz my boss will fry me, but basically
Apache is looking VERY GOOD compared to another similar product from a
commercial concern with a lot more backing. I know you all want to know much
more but if you'll wait just one more week (where have you heard *that*
before?!) you'll get a nice suprise.

Incidentally your list is going to be rather large, well in excess of 600.

> Brian

> brian@organic.com brian@hyperreal.com http://www.[hyperreal,organic].com/

Cheers,
Ay, who is able to recieve personal email as well as stuff sent to this list.
Re: user list [ In reply to ]
> I was thinking along the lines of a list of names and brief descriptions
>
> e.g.
>
> <DT><A HREF="http://xxx.lanl.gov/">XXX e-Print Archives</A></DT>
> <DD>International archive of electronic papers for Physics and more.</DD>
>
> rather than just,
>
> <DT><A HREF="http://xxx.lanl.gov/">xxx.lanl.gov</A> Apache 0.8.6</DT>
>
> which I guess is what your list would report.
>

> I'm sure the lists would compliment each other rather than compete.
>
> Andy, any problem with that ?

Well, the information's free till the inevitable time comes when sys-admins
screen the HEAD output for hackable clues. Then the survey will be useless,
cuz noone'll be able to tell who's running what.

[incidentally rob, what *is* Server: LANL/1.0 anyway ;)]

Till then anyone who has the time to burn can write the scripts and host
a survey.

I guess this Apache user's list is more of a list of the prime users, rather
than a complete'ists list like mine will turn out to be. I don't see
these lists as competing, an I'm certain that I could do nothing about it
if they did ;)

> rob
> --
> http://nqcd.lanl.gov/~hartill/

Oh is it right? Do all the Movie DB sites run Apache now?

Cheers,
Ay.

Andrew Wilson URL: http://www.cm.cf.ac.uk/User/Andrew.Wilson/
Elsevier Science, Oxford Office: +44 01865 843155 Mobile: +44 0589 616144
Re: user list [ In reply to ]
> The list isn't linked into the rest of the pages, so if it sucks we
> won't put it online.

Trust me, it won't suck.