Mailing List Archive

feature request (fwd)
Re: feature request (fwd) [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 9 Aug 1995, Florent Guillaume wrote:
> > Since both Apache/htpasswd and login(1) use the same function to
> > encrypt passwords, you'd think that you could just say:
> >
> > AuthUserFile /etc/passwd
>
> It is evil to use the system passwords for the WWW, because
> these passwords are sent in clear to whoever asks them.

I'd use the term "unwise", but yeah, I agree that it shouldn't be
suggested or necessarily enabled in our setup. MD5 authentication is
going to require storing something other than the crypted password
anyways.

Brian

brian@organic.com brian@hyperreal.com http://www.[hyperreal,organic].com/
Re: feature request (fwd) [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 9 Aug 1995, Archie Cobbs wrote:
> > I'd use the term "unwise", but yeah, I agree that it shouldn't be
> > suggested or necessarily enabled in our setup. MD5 authentication is
> > going to require storing something other than the crypted password
> > anyways.
>
> That's true (and too bad for me). By the way, any projections as to
> when this MD5 password encoding gets implemented?

NCSA 1.5 and WN have it on the server end, and XMosaic 2.7 and emacs-W3
are the only clients as far as I know (no, wait, Spyglass too I think)

Re: feature request (fwd) [ In reply to ]
Last time, Brian Behlendorf uttered the following other thing:

> On Wed, 9 Aug 1995, Archie Cobbs wrote:
> > > I'd use the term "unwise", but yeah, I agree that it shouldn't be
> > > suggested or necessarily enabled in our setup. MD5 authentication is
> > > going to require storing something other than the crypted password
> > > anyways.
> >
> > That's true (and too bad for me). By the way, any projections as to
> > when this MD5 password encoding gets implemented?
>
> NCSA 1.5 and WN have it on the server end, and XMosaic 2.7 and emacs-W3
> are the only clients as far as I know (no, wait, Spyglass too I think)

To my knowledge, one of the security modules Enhanced Mosaic from Spyglass
comes with is the Digest Authentication. Don't know if anyone has
tried it with the server, though. If eW3 uses it though, that's a test
to see if we implemented it right.

Brandon

--
Brandon Long (N9WUC) "I think, therefore, I am confused." -- RAW
Computer Engineering Run Linux '95. It's that Easy.
Re: feature request (fwd) [ In reply to ]

Re: feature request (fwd) [ In reply to ]

> > NCSA 1.5 and WN have it on the server end, and XMosaic 2.7 and emacs-W3
> > are the only clients as far as I know (no, wait, Spyglass too I think)

The final beta release of Windows Mosaic also has MD5 support.

Stanford S. Guillory
NCSA - University of Illinois
guillory@ncsa.uiuc.edu