Mailing List Archive

hmm, actually the bug was a multiview bug....
seems that in:

mod_negotiation.c:read_types_multi()

the following lines are problematic....

/* Do we have a match? */

if (strncmp (dir_entry->d_name, filp, prefix_len)) continue;
if (dir_entry->d_name[prefix_len] != '.') continue;

if we didn't have language negotiation, then we would be saved since
we could get the dir_entry, strip off the ".*" and compare with
filp. "index.old" != "index" so we would be safe.
This is not the case since index.html.en and index.html.fr are allowed
and "index.html" != "index", arg.

perhaps we should have index.html-en and index.html-fr or
something like that since there is now a problem trying to
figure out what to do. Perhaps it is too late.

BUG

Cliff
Re: hmm, actually the bug was a multiview bug.... [ In reply to ]
if (strncmp (dir_entry->d_name, filp, prefix_len)) continue;
if (dir_entry->d_name[prefix_len] != '.') continue;

if we didn't have language negotiation, then we would be saved since
we could get the dir_entry, strip off the ".*" and compare with
filp. "index.old" != "index" so we would be safe.
This is not the case since index.html.en and index.html.fr are allowed
and "index.html" != "index", arg.

Ummm... those lines have been around for a while --- in fact, they're
unmodified from the 0.6.x negotiation code; they certainly don't have
anything in particular to do with language negotiation. Is 0.8.x
really doing anything different from 0.6.x here?

[. Hidden agenda note --- the only way to "cure" this is to somehow
make the content negotiation code, in mod_negotiation.c, aware of
which suffixes were significant to the filename extension handling
code in mod_mime.c, and I really would rather not have that; one of
the things I like about the present design is that mod_mime has no
special role in things, and *could* be replaced by, say, something
WN-like, which would assign no particular role to any suffixes
at all, if somebody actually wanted to do that. ]

rst