p.s. - anyone been able to do some speed tests to compare this to other
servers?

brian@organic.com brian@hyperreal.com http://www.[hyperreal,organic].com/
Re: We're pointed at by Netscape! [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 7 Aug 1995, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> p.s. - anyone been able to do some speed tests to compare this to other
> servers?

I've been meaning to do this for a while now, but I'm moving back
to Toronto for a new job come September 20, so things at my current
job are pretty hectic while I try to finish things up. I did manage
to release WebHound on Apache 0.85 a couple of weeks ago just to get a
feel for the new server. FreeBSD 2.1-960726, 486DX4/100, 16 megs RAM
and 40 clients accessing it, simulating data pipes of varying widths
and lag times, random dropped connections, etc. The benchmark ran for
14 hours, with a projected daily access rate of almost 600,000
accesses. Load average stayed at around 0.70 the whole time. :)

I did notice that I could only get 25 servers running, even though
MaxClients was set to 150... I'll try it again with the latest code
and get some more conclusive numbers.
taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw <-- work ........ play --> taob@io.org
Re: We're pointed at by Netscape! [ In reply to ]
> I did notice that I could only get 25 servers running, even though
> MaxClients was set to 150... I'll try it again with the latest code
> and get some more conclusive numbers.
> --
> Brian ("Though this be madness, yet there is method in't") Tao

Only 25 ?, that's good if you're hitting it from local machines. You've
probably hit the hardware/OS limit on the client and or server side...
it just doesn't have bandwidth for any more.

My HP, when hit from a nearby machine seems to stop at ~14 requests/s,
but that was with a very crude system where the client machine spawned
multiple perl scripts to send requests (and its load rocketed past 30), the
server load stays <0.5.

A better test is to hit the server from multiple local sites (external ones
could be considered abuse of the network)... then again, you might be
doing that already ;-)

rob