Mailing List Archive

Stuff for 0.8.2...
This is a note about what's in my current development sandbox. I'm
not shipping this yet, because it includes a few items on which I'm
not sure we've reached closure. Specifically --- I've included
Florent's AddLanguage code. By the old Apache voting rules, we need
three votes and no vetoes for this. I want it, I presume Florent
wants it, and the most serious objections have been devil's advocacy,
but still to be formal about it, given that there has been
controversy, I think we need one more vote.

Other things of special note, about which reasonable people might
disagree: Due to the lack of objection (or any comment at all), I've
propagated the Berkeley legal disclaimer through the license copies in
the source code. Also, now that we have an optional module mechanism,
I've added Mark Cox's cookie-click-trace code, commented out in the
default Configuration and noted there as an experiment on a par with
mod_dld.

The rest of it is mostly just bugfixes and tidying up. From here on
in, BTW, I'm starting to think that it really would be appropriate to
freeze things completely, and allow bugfixes only, until public
release; the stuff we've been adding is worthwhile, but it is
important to reach formal closure. (Likewise when 0.8.2 comes out,
I'd appreciate people building and testing it, to make sure that
nothing broke since the last Shambhala release you tried).

The 0.8.2 changes follow. I have a release with these built,
actually, and will release it ASAP if I hear no objections:

*) Added AddLanuage code [Florent Guillaume]

*) Don't say "access forbidden" when a CGI script is not found. [Mark Cox]

*) All sorts of problems when MultiViews finds a directory. It would
be nice if mod_dir.c was robust enough to handle that, but for now,
just punt. [reported by Brian Behlendorf]

*) Wait for all children on restart, to make sure that the old socket
is gone and we can reopen it. [reported by Randy Terbush]

*) Imagemap module is enabled in default Configuration

*) RefererLog and UserAgentLog modules properly default the logfile
[Randy Terbush]

*) Mark Cox's mod_cookies added to the distribution as an optional
module (commented out in the default Configuration, and noted as
an experiment, along with mod_dld).

*) Compiles on Ultrix (a continuing battle...).

*) Changed "Shambhala" to "Apache" in API docs.

*) Added new, toothier legal disclaimer.

rst
Re: Stuff for 0.8.2... [ In reply to ]
> This is a note about what's in my current development sandbox. I'm
> not shipping this yet, because it includes a few items on which I'm
> not sure we've reached closure. Specifically --- I've included
> Florent's AddLanguage code. By the old Apache voting rules, we need
> three votes and no vetoes for this. I want it, I presume Florent
> wants it, and the most serious objections have been devil's advocacy,
> but still to be formal about it, given that there has been
> controversy, I think we need one more vote.

I'll +1 this. My only comment is that I would prefer to see
the current negotiation code get the ability to glob filenames.

> Other things of special note, about which reasonable people might
> disagree: Due to the lack of objection (or any comment at all), I've
> propagated the Berkeley legal disclaimer through the license copies in
> the source code. Also, now that we have an optional module mechanism,
> I've added Mark Cox's cookie-click-trace code, commented out in the
> default Configuration and noted there as an experiment on a par with
> mod_dld.

+1 on the new verbage.
Re: Stuff for 0.8.2... [ In reply to ]
Re: Stuff for 0.8.2... [ In reply to ]
Re: Stuff for 0.8.2... [ In reply to ]
OK, then, 0.8.2 is pending on the SIGTERM bug you reported... does the fix
I sent you help matters any?

rst
Re: Stuff for 0.8.2... [ In reply to ]
With Randy's +1 on the AddLanguage stuff (and the fix for his latest bug in
the distribution), I figured I might as well put my latest 0.8.2 build in
hyperreal in the usual place. If anyone has serious objection to some of
the stuff I tossed in, I'll certainly consider rebuilding without the
objectionable item.

As to the freeze --- I meant it more as a suggestion than a command, but I
do think it's a very good idea... we do seem to be having a little trouble
reaching closure (for which I'm to blame as much as anyone); I think the
time has probably come to just fix whatever's clearly broken in whatever
we've got, and then ship it.

rst`
Re: Stuff for 0.8.2... [ In reply to ]
> As to the freeze --- I meant it more as a suggestion than a command, but I
> do think it's a very good idea... we do seem to be having a little trouble
> reaching closure (for which I'm to blame as much as anyone); I think the
> time has probably come to just fix whatever's clearly broken in whatever
> we've got, and then ship it.
>
> rst`

+1 freeze, test, ship.

Ay.