Andrew Wilson URL: http://www.cm.cf.ac.uk/User/Andrew.Wilson/
Elsevier Science, Oxford Office: +44 01865 843155 Mobile: +44 0589 616144

----- Begin Included Message -----
Re: 0.6/0.7 + SSL [ In reply to ]
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 95 11:01:06 BST
From: Andrew Wilson <andrew@www.elsevier.co.uk>

Hi,

amid all the 0.6 vs 0.7 vs Shambala confusion, is anyone
considering SSL and all the other hardcore commercial stuff?

Unfortunately, if I read that note right, then the SSL in question is
the Australian implementation, which doesn't use RSAREF, and is
therefore contraband in the States. As innovators in the field of
software, aren't we glad that the government provides a patent system
which allows us to protect our rights like this?

Grump.
rst
Re: 0.6/0.7 + SSL [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 3 Jul 1995, Robert S. Thau wrote:

> Unfortunately, if I read that note right, then the SSL in question is
> the Australian implementation, which doesn't use RSAREF, and is
> therefore contraband in the States. As innovators in the field of
> software, aren't we glad that the government provides a patent system
> which allows us to protect our rights like this?

The new version of SSLeay _does_ support the use of RSAREF so you can
link it into a "legal" version in the States. Haven't tried this myself
but have been told that it works by Eric and Tim (the guys behind SSLeay).

Bambi