Mailing List Archive

Apache user authentication probs
Hi,

(sorry to direct this to you but I could not send to
apache-bugs@mail.apache.org. Maybe you can help me or forward this to
the right recipients, thanks)

I sure like to use apache as my WWW server. However,
I'd like to know how to set up automatic form based user authentication
like Hotwired has done. I wonder if these scripts (Perl ?)are available
somewhere ?

Apache seems to have support for DBM to save passwords. I tested the
dbmmanage program in /support directory. When I issued (on HP console):

trehw15(53): ./dbmmanage ../conf/passwords adduser testman testpw
User testman added with password testpw, encrypted to XXjeNjyKuQr/A

Ok, I now have one entry in passwords file. I have setup one directory to
be protected (in access.conf):

<Directory /usr/local/adm/httpd/htdocs/secret2>
Options Indexes FollowSymlinks
AllowOverride None
AuthDBMUserFile /usr/local/adm/apache_0.6.4/conf/passwords
AuthName Gimme your account!
AuthType Basic
<Limit GET>
require user testman
</Limit>
</Directory>

When I try access /secret2 I am prompted for a username and a password.
I give these right (testman and testpw) but got errors. What is wrong ?

In error_log I have:
[Mon May 22 12:30:45 1995] pc1.nmp.nokia.com authorization: user testman:
password mismatch

I have compiled with -DDBM_AUTH (CFLAGS) and with -lndbm (EXTRA_LIBS)

Any help greatly appreciated !

Regards,

Teijo Heimola
Nokia Mobile Phones/Cellular Data, Finland
teijo.heimola@nmp.nokia.com

----- End Included Message -----