Mailing List Archive

0.6.4b
Brian wrote:
>1) 0.6.4b wasn't made live, so I put it in /dist and adjusted the
>pointers according.

So are the other US members of the Apache group happy with you breaking the
US export regulations by doing this? Wouldn't it have been better to wait
until the PEM code had been removed, and release 0.6.5? Unnecessary
frequent releases are a Bad Thing.

David.
Re: 0.6.4b [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 21 May 1995, David Robinson wrote:
> Brian wrote:
> >1) 0.6.4b wasn't made live, so I put it in /dist and adjusted the
> >pointers according.
>
> So are the other US members of the Apache group happy with you breaking the
> US export regulations by doing this? Wouldn't it have been better to wait
> until the PEM code had been removed, and release 0.6.5? Unnecessary
> frequent releases are a Bad Thing.

I didn't announce this to any mailing list or newsgroup or anything.
There was an embarrassing typo (as noted on that page itself) which I
thought the consensus was to fix quickly.

I definitely did not break any laws that weren't already being broken.

I'll be happy to take the PEM code out today and release an 0.6.5. I'll
even throw in the color icons since that should be pretty uncontroversial.
I guess I'll have to remove from the server the public distributions of
previous versions too. Any naysayers?

Brian

brian@organic.com brian@hyperreal.com http://www.[hyperreal,organic].com/
Re: 0.6.4b [ In reply to ]
> I didn't announce this to any mailing list or newsgroup or anything.
> There was an embarrassing typo (as noted on that page itself) which I
> thought the consensus was to fix quickly.

Yup, I made a quick fix and asked for opinions on making it
publically available. Nobody responded, so I just left it there.

> I definitely did not break any laws that weren't already being broken.

Are we talking Apache laws ? :-)

BTW, I saw "Apache Peek" today.. Still snow covered, as are many
other >13,000ft mountains in northern NM. I think I have a photo of it.
I missed a chance the other week to get a colourful photo of an
"Apache Trading Post", near Carlsbad (South East NM).... damn, but
I was driving at the time.

> I'll be happy to take the PEM code out today and release an 0.6.5. I'll
> even throw in the color icons since that should be pretty uncontroversial.

+1

> I guess I'll have to remove from the server the public distributions of
> previous versions too. Any naysayers?

The /httpd/ tree isn't public, or at least it isn't publicised
as such. I say leave them there until someone tells us to remove them.

--
Rob Hartill
http://nqcd.lanl.gov/~hartill/
Re: 0.6.4b [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 21 May 1995, Rob Hartill wrote:
> > I didn't announce this to any mailing list or newsgroup or anything.
> > There was an embarrassing typo (as noted on that page itself) which I
> > thought the consensus was to fix quickly.
>
> Yup, I made a quick fix and asked for opinions on making it
> publically available. Nobody responded, so I just left it there.

People are way too used on Internet mailing lists to responding only when
they disagree, and not when they agree, myself included. This is why
it's hard to draw consensus on lists sometimes... anyways, I supported
making this public, and will speak up next time too.

> > I'll be happy to take the PEM code out today and release an 0.6.5. I'll
> > even throw in the color icons since that should be pretty uncontroversial.
>
> +1

Okay, that's two for a build tonight with icons and no pem code. Oh, and
David, I think we have to reject O103 as in violation of munitions law
covering "collaboration" :)

> > I guess I'll have to remove from the server the public distributions of
> > previous versions too. Any naysayers?
>
> The /httpd/ tree isn't public, or at least it isn't publicised
> as such. I say leave them there until someone tells us to remove them.

Elizabeth specifically did ask us to remove it.

Re: 0.6.4b [ In reply to ]
> > The /httpd/ tree isn't public, or at least it isn't publicised
> > as such. I say leave them there until someone tells us to remove them.
>
> Elizabeth specifically did ask us to remove it.
>
> Brian

If so, fair enough, but I thought Beth was asking us to only
remove NCSA 1.3/1.4 from public places.

We only have a copy of 1.3 off of the public tree. It serves no purpose,
so there's no point keeping it, but the earlier Apache code in that dir
isn't public knowledge... move it if you have to, but please don't
remove it.

--
Rob Hartill
http://nqcd.lanl.gov/~hartill/
Re: 0.6.4b [ In reply to ]
On May 22, 7:33am, Rob Hartill wrote:
} Subject: Re: 0.6.4b

> > > The /httpd/ tree isn't public, or at least it isn't publicised
> > > as such. I say leave them there until someone tells us to remove them.
> >
> > Elizabeth specifically did ask us to remove it.
> >
> > Brian
>

> If so, fair enough, but I thought Beth was asking us to only
> remove NCSA 1.3/1.4 from public places.
>
> We only have a copy of 1.3 off of the public tree. It serves no purpose,
> so there's no point keeping it, but the earlier Apache code in that dir
> isn't public knowledge... move it if you have to, but please don't
> remove it.
>
> --
> Rob Hartill
> http://nqcd.lanl.gov/~hartill/

}-- End of excerpt from Rob Hartill

I requested that any version of the NCSA server prior to 1.4.1 be removed
from public distribution outside the USA and Canada. I've informed you
that any code built on the previous versions of the NCSA server may be in
violation of US export restrictions and what changes would be neccessary
to legally export it. I believe that fulfills the NCSA's legal obligations
with respect to the earlier code. (and the lawyers rejoice :^)

-Beth Frank
efrank@ncsa.uiuc.edu