Mailing List Archive

Re: The HTTP_TIME_FORMAT is not correct
Re: The HTTP_TIME_FORMAT is not correct [ In reply to ]
>> According to my reading of the various HTTP documents, the time
>> format produced by apache is incorrect.
>
> According Roy Fielding - the author of the HTTP spec, the format is
> correct... Roy gave us the format string.

Hah! Proof by reference to me -- I like it. ;-)

Actually, it is okay by me if Apache switches back to the old default
for the next three months or so (until older Netscapes are mostly updated),
provided that the new format is visible in a comment (as the old one
is now in httpd.h).

However, the format Vivek suggested is completely wrong -- neither the
old nor the new format.

......Roy
Re: The HTTP_TIME_FORMAT is not correct [ In reply to ]
> > correct... Roy gave us the format string.

> Hah! Proof by reference to me -- I like it. ;-)

... you're also the fall guy if anything goes wrong >:-)

> Actually, it is okay by me if Apache switches back to the old default

We had the option for a while, before Netscape 1.1 was repaired. Now
that it is fixed, the option has been removed... it might encourage
users of <1.1 upgrade.

> for the next three months or so (until older Netscapes are mostly updated),
> provided that the new format is visible in a comment (as the old one
> is now in httpd.h).

Errr, I think the old format has left us for the bit bucket in
the sky...

from httpd.h (0.6.4)....

/* RFC 1123 format for date - this is what HTTP/1.0 wants */
#define HTTP_TIME_FORMAT "%a, %d %b %Y %T GMT"

--
Rob Hartill
http://nqcd.lanl.gov/~hartill/
Re: The HTTP_TIME_FORMAT is not correct [ In reply to ]
> Errr, I think the old format has left us for the bit bucket in
> the sky...
>
> from httpd.h (0.6.4)....
>
> /* RFC 1123 format for date - this is what HTTP/1.0 wants */
> #define HTTP_TIME_FORMAT "%a, %d %b %Y %T GMT"

Awwww, crumbs... I wanted to leave the old format around so that
people who really desperately needed it would at least get some
guidance. The old format is

#define HTTP_TIME_FORMAT "%A, %d-%b-%y %T GMT"

I suppose someone also deleted the useful comment before it. :(

......Roy