Mailing List Archive

time for 0.6.3
Based on the http://hyperreal.com/httpd/cgi-bin/vote.cgi votes

I plan to build 0.6.3 later today.

O91 - Makefile CFLAGS/name changes failed on the basis of the CFLAGS.
Despite that, I'll change the "NCSA" name to "Apache" for 0.6.3 - nobody
can argue with that.

B94 - no multi log message is missing 1 vote. Can I assume rst
(who wrote it) gives it +1 ?

E93 - Allow spaces in AddType is short of 1 vote. Unless someone
wants it, it'll be left out.

-=-=

all other patches have either enough votes or a veto.

-=-=

If someone can upload David's new README, I'll put that in place.
I deleted my copy :-(

-=-=

The apache.org name went AWOL again a day or two ago.

--
Rob Hartill
http://nqcd.lanl.gov/~hartill/
Re: time for 0.6.3 [ In reply to ]
+1 on B94

rst
Re: time for 0.6.3 [ In reply to ]
> >The apache.org name went AWOL again a day or two ago.
> Can we _please_ get this sorted out!!

Patience. We are working on it. The Internic will not
update things overnight, and with recent disruptions in
the connectivity of the net, there needs to be some
thought put into the change. Funny, when I suggested
doing this in the first place, no one gave a shit.

In case some of you aren't aware, NSFNET was officially
decommisioned May 1. Since my site gets access through
a CIX provider, there are some serious(silly) issues
regarding peering at some of the interconnects.

This will *not* go away in less than 1 week.

FWIW - I have *never* been able to resolve ast.cam.ac.uk
since this list began.
Re: time for 0.6.3 [ In reply to ]
David, I'm not sure why you are having so much trouble resolving
apache.org. I have been monitoring resolution for this domain and I have
not seen any problems whenever I checked... maybe I'm just getting lucky.
You might want to toss your name resolution daemon into debug mode so you
can see where the hand-off is failing.

Both DNS.ZYZZYVA.COM DNS.INETNEBR.COM are taking less than a couple
seconds to respond. What happens with you nslookup apache.org. after
setting lserver to each nameserver?

Folks at inetnebr and zyzzyva, have you been experiencing problems with
your services to apache.org. ?

We are quite well connected here, and I would have no problem with
providing secondary to apache.org. if needed.

Cheers...

Roderick Murchison, Jr. Newbridge Networks, Inc.
----------------------- Network Engineering
murchiso@newbridge.com 460 Herndon Parkway
http://www.vivid.newbridge.com/~murchiso Herndon, VA 22070-5241
(703) 318-5759 [office]

Re: time for 0.6.3 [ In reply to ]
> > > Can we _please_ get this sorted out!!
> >
> > Patience. We are working on it. The Internic will not
> > update things overnight, and with recent disruptions in
> > the connectivity of the net, there needs to be some
> > thought put into the change...
>
> Ok, thanks. Did you take up the offer of a secondary here in Cambridge?

I attempted to bounce a mail off of another site to him this
morning since the previous reply is still in the queue.

> >FWIW - I have *never* been able to resolve ast.cam.ac.uk
> >since this list began.
>
> Slightly odd, considering we have a DNS secondary at MIT.

I know. Unfortunately, MIT was one of the last sites we
were able to see once someone finally leaned hard enough
on ANS. It appears that ANS is a bit pissy about losing
total control....
Re: time for 0.6.3 [ In reply to ]
> Both DNS.ZYZZYVA.COM DNS.INETNEBR.COM are taking less than a couple
> seconds to respond. What happens with you nslookup apache.org. after
> setting lserver to each nameserver?
>
> Folks at inetnebr and zyzzyva, have you been experiencing problems with
> your services to apache.org. ?

zyzzyva is primary for apache.org so there is no problem here. :-)
However, I have had continuous problems resolving David's domain.

Speculation Mode: David has indicated they have a secondary at MIT.
MIT being one of the older sites on the net, I suspect they are
served by ANS which is one of the bigger snags when getting off
of a CIX net (which we are).

> We are quite well connected here, and I would have no problem with
> providing secondary to apache.org. if needed.

Thanks. As soon as I hear back from Cliff regarding some of this,
I will confirm with those involved how best to submit the domain
update.
Re: time for 0.6.3 [ In reply to ]
> Firstly, as far as I am concerned, the two DNS servers are in the same
> location; a traceroute to dns.zyzzyva.com shows packets going to
> router.inetnebr.com. (two hops before the destination).

You are correct. With *no* responses to my suggestion of the
registrtation, I had to rely on my resources.

> The problem is that often I cannot contact either of the DNS servers; they
> do not respond to ping packets. A traceroute shows the packets getting as
> far as sl-stk-5-H1/0-T3.sprintlink.net, and then no further.

The current situation is that SprintLink is refusing to peer with CIX
networks. (here we go again....) This has really just become an
issue this past week.

I can probably get this pushed through Internic fairly quickly
once we know what the best approach is.
Re: time for 0.6.3 [ In reply to ]

Re: time for 0.6.3 [ In reply to ]

Re: time for 0.6.3 [ In reply to ]
>David, I'm not sure why you are having so much trouble resolving
>apache.org. I have been monitoring resolution for this domain and I have
>not seen any problems whenever I checked... maybe I'm just getting lucky.
>You might want to toss your name resolution daemon into debug mode so you
>can see where the hand-off is failing.
>
>Both DNS.ZYZZYVA.COM DNS.INETNEBR.COM are taking less than a couple
>seconds to respond. What happens with you nslookup apache.org. after
>setting lserver to each nameserver?

Firstly, as far as I am concerned, the two DNS servers are in the same
location; a traceroute to dns.zyzzyva.com shows packets going to
router.inetnebr.com. (two hops before the destination).

The problem is that often I cannot contact either of the DNS servers; they
do not respond to ping packets. A traceroute shows the packets getting as
far as sl-stk-5-H1/0-T3.sprintlink.net, and then no further.

>We are quite well connected here, and I would have no problem with
>providing secondary to apache.org. if needed.

I'm sure it would help.

David.