ftp://ftp.apache.org/apache/

where files that the user shouldn't really see are visible.

Is there a fix for that ?
Re: ftp giveaway [ In reply to ]

> we have a link to
>
> ftp://ftp.apache.org/apache/dist/
>
> which conventiently offers users a path up to
>
> ftp://ftp.apache.org/apache/
>
> where files that the user shouldn't really see are visible.
>
> Is there a fix for that ?

Using http... I know of no way to lock this without effecting
*all* ftp logins.

Brian?
Re: ftp giveaway [ In reply to ]
Why bother with FTP at all? What's wrong with downloading it via HTTP?

Also, remember that I said that the whole data tree under /export/pub is
accessible via FTP - that seemed to be fine with others here. I'm not
planning on turning off FTP any time soon for other hyperreal users.

Brian

brian@organic.com brian@hyperreal.com http://www.[hyperreal,organic].com/
Re: ftp giveaway [ In reply to ]

> Why bother with FTP at all? What's wrong with downloading it via HTTP?

I just finished changing this to use HTTP.
Re: ftp giveaway [ In reply to ]
> Why bother with FTP at all? What's wrong with downloading it via HTTP?

I can live with that. Someone added a FTP link, so I thought we
wanted one.
Re: ftp giveaway [ In reply to ]

> > Why bother with FTP at all? What's wrong with downloading it via HTTP?
>
> I just finished changing this to use HTTP.

index.html ->

http://ftp.apache.org/apache/dist/apache_0.6.1.tar.Z

Sorry, Sucka!

Whatever it was you were looking for seems to have been misplaced - let whoever it was who pointed
you in this direction know. Sorry about that!

-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-

It's called "apache_beta_0.6.1.tar.Z"
Re: ftp giveaway [ In reply to ]
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 1995 17:27:32 -0500
From: Randy Terbush <randy@dsndata.com>

> we have a link to
>
> ftp://ftp.apache.org/apache/dist/
>
> which conventiently offers users a path up to
>
> ftp://ftp.apache.org/apache/
>
> where files that the user shouldn't really see are visible.
>
> Is there a fix for that ?

OK, I'm being silly now --- how about turning read permission off in
the directory?

rst
Re: ftp giveaway [ In reply to ]
> I'm afraid I think ftp downloading is essential, though by all means have
> a hypertext link. Using anonymous ftp is user-friendly; using http simply
> is not.

I find HTTP friendly enough for downloading files. Why do you
say it isn't ?

The only problem I see is that a HTTP connection might be cut by
the server after a given TIMEOUT... hmmm I suppose that is unfriendly.
Re: ftp giveaway [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 21 Apr 1995, David Robinson wrote:
> I'm afraid I think ftp downloading is essential, though by all means have
> a hypertext link. Using anonymous ftp is user-friendly; using http simply
> is not.

Er, what's more user friendly about FTP than HTTP? What's the difference
between ftp://www.apache.org/apache/dist/apache_0.6.1.tar.gz and
http://www.apache.org/apache/dist/apache_0.6.1.tar.gz? A friend used
Lynx the other night to download the source without trouble...

Brian

brian@organic.com brian@hyperreal.com http://www.[hyperreal,organic].com/
Re: ftp giveaway [ In reply to ]
>Why bother with FTP at all? What's wrong with downloading it via HTTP?
>
>Also, remember that I said that the whole data tree under /export/pub is
>accessible via FTP - that seemed to be fine with others here. I'm not
>planning on turning off FTP any time soon for other hyperreal users.
>
> Brian

I'm afraid I think ftp downloading is essential, though by all means have
a hypertext link. Using anonymous ftp is user-friendly; using http simply
is not.

If you want people to use this software, then you need to make it convenient
for them to download.

David.
Re: ftp giveaway [ In reply to ]
I personally find ftp more comfortable to use when downloading code than
http simply because I can then proceed to unpack and build the thing
(whatever it is) from the same environment that I used to download it
(the Unix command line), instead of having to fire up and tear down a
browser. It's no big deal either way, though --- http does the job
perfectly well...

rst
Re: ftp giveaway [ In reply to ]
> I find HTTP friendly enough for downloading files. Why do you
> say it isn't ?

With ftp I can list the size of the file, its last update time, etc.
I find the ftp client more convenient that many web browsers, in this respect.

> The only problem I see is that a HTTP connection might be cut by
> the server after a given TIMEOUT... hmmm I suppose that is unfriendly.

Whereas with ftp I can restart the transfer instead of discarding the data
that was transfered.

Brian wrote:
>Er, what's more user friendly about FTP than HTTP? What's the difference
>between ftp://www.apache.org/apache/dist/apache_0.6.1.tar.gz and
>http://www.apache.org/apache/dist/apache_0.6.1.tar.gz?

No difference if you use the same web browser for both...

David.
Re: ftp giveaway [ In reply to ]
> I personally find ftp more comfortable to use when downloading code than
> http simply because I can then proceed to unpack and build the thing
> (whatever it is) from the same environment that I used to download it
> (the Unix command line), instead of having to fire up and tear down a
> browser. It's no big deal either way, though --- http does the job
> perfectly well...

use libwww-perl -- it slices, it dices, it allows you to

% get -e http://www.ics.uci.edu/WebSoft/libwww-perl/ > ReadMe.html

;-)

......Roy
595 down, 1098 to go