Rob?

I just caught a little blurb from Clarinet regarding the debut at
Internet World.
Re: Real Audio [ In reply to ]
> Does anyone on the list have more information about the Real Audio
> extensions that will reportedly be added to the NetSite server?

Try http://www.realaudio.com/
(IW Report is on GNN http://www.gnn.com/gnn/news/feature/networld.html)

Mark
Mark J Cox, mark@telescope.org -- URL:http://www.telescope.org/mark.html
University of Bradford, England ---------- tel +44.1274.384070/fax 391333
Re: Real Audio [ In reply to ]
howdy, excuse me for jumping in, probably without a lot of background
on the project and what might already be built in. basically, i just
found out about the apache project and am very interested in being involved
with it to whatever degree makes sense and i'm useful. i'd like to do
some beta testing of things and potentially run some new servers on apache
as opposed to the other non-open solutions out there.

anyways, reeling myself back to topic, Andrew Wilson's notes about
RealAudio and MBONE and VRML and basically extensible systems is of
particular interest to me (probably since we're involved in real time audio,
MBONE, and VRML :}).

i think it's a ripe time for being able to include some standard methods
in building some nice extendibility for the future now in something like
apache. i'm not familiar with how involved the apache development crew
is in trying to extend the HTTP spec and how far it's planned to go without
touching the spec. i'm curious whether there are already plans for the
netsite-ish push/pull strategies and communication with passing URL's
and data to open pipes between companion applications. there are people
all over the place doing various extensions based on specific mime-types
as well as moving into non-scalable server-modification solutions and i'd
like to see all of that be able to come under one roof so as to reach the
widest audience being able to benefit from such extensions.

obviously, a lot of this ends up being on the client side, but it seems
to me that if you build a back-side standard, the folks making the browsers
will jump at incorporating new standards (hence my veering off in the previous
paragraph about the HTTP spec). i'm sure i'm not alone in wanting to avoid
the future of having one company designing all sorts of proprietary
communication methods between their server and their client (sort of reminds
me about the scary aspects of microsoft's future plans).

none of this message is really designed for much in the way of specific
i just wanted to toss a couple things out there and if people are interested
in talking more about it we could do so in a smaller list or later when
it doesn't get in the way of the current traffic.

jon r. luini, iuma kaiser - falcon@iuma.com IUMA Info: info@iuma.com
.___ ____ ___ _____ _____
|___|______/____|__ /___|__ / bands/music/labels/images/lawn darts
===================\/=======\/============================================
URL - http://www.iuma.com/ Phone: (408) 426-4862
Re: Real Audio [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 19 Apr 1995, Randy Terbush wrote:
> Does anyone on the list have more information about the Real Audio
> extensions that will reportedly be added to the NetSite server?
> I assume this is a proprietary add-on?

I have a feeling it's snake oil, nothing a smarter sound player
application couldn't also be. HotWired's playing around with it too.
"Oh boy! voice-quality sound on a 14.4 modem! Oh, wait... this is a
phone line after all...."

Brian

brian@organic.com brian@hyperreal.com http://www.[hyperreal,organic].com/
Re: Real Audio [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 19 Apr 1995, Andrew Wilson wrote:
> The real freak seems to be the random access approach to the data streams.
> In effect the server will be recieving periodic requests to rewind a stream
> and start playing the 'sample' again. God only knows what this will
> do to bandwidth!?!

Ah, okay, this is where it really distinguishes itself from a basic
stream of sound information - but, it just points out limits in HTTP (not
being able to fetch a random subpart of an object, only the object
itself). Though, munging the URL to store this subsection info in
path-info or query-string might not be bad, and all this can happen
*outside* the server through a smart client and a CGI script.

Either way, it doesn't look like we need to supply direct support for it.
Besides, I don't think their business model allows for public code server
implementations anyways. In fact I don't think it even allows for a
*publication* of their protocol. harumph.

> Over WAN things would be different. Many service providers (EUnet in Europe
> for one) are *very* anti UDP and related bandwidth killing protocols, we may
> see a backlash against large scale use of MBONE-like services on WAN.

God, I hope they kill "make a long-distance, even cross-country phone
call for the price of a local call using the internet!" services before
it's too late.

> Don't even *ask* me about VRML. The future scares me. ;)

What about VRML? :) The big debate over on that list, of course, is
just how orthogonal the language should be from the networking it sits on
top of. Oh, and behaviors. Oh, and avatars. Oh, and cyberspace and
virtual real estate and and.....

It's going to be an interesting couple of months.

Re: Real Audio [ In reply to ]
[re: support for proper audio stuff in future HTTP]

this'll be short cos someone broke my Dragon box while I was in Darmstadt.

A lot of thought went into this issue for HTTP-NG (based on some stuff
dsr did for RT video at HP. You can get data back over a separate
transport (needed for ATM work) - first implementation will have sample
audio hack using RTP (real time protocol).

Simon
Re: Real Audio [ In reply to ]
Randy:
> Does anyone on the list have more information about the Real Audio
> extensions that will reportedly be added to the NetSite server?
> I assume this is a proprietary add-on?

Mark Cox
> Try http://www.realaudio.com/
> (IW Report is on GNN http://www.gnn.com/gnn/news/feature/networld.html)

This looks a little wild on first glance. The RealAudio 'streams' seem
to be outside of the HTTP functionality. I'd guess that some clever soul
has shoehorned (albeit elegantly) the MBONE utilities into a 1.3 clone.
This would mean that the server would double as an MBONE 'radio station'
or as a 'signal relay'.

We know that it's possible to process a downloading data-set in real time,
just look at the Netscape images fading in. It would be nice to have
a similar facility for .au files, but it'd require the browser to
maintain the ftp download to an AudioTool clone while you carried on surfing.

Failing that it'd be neat to have an AudioTool that accepted a URL and
did all the hard work instead of the browser. The browser would see that
the URL ended in .rau (or whatever) and kick off the AudioTool helper appn.

The real freak seems to be the random access approach to the data streams.
In effect the server will be recieving periodic requests to rewind a stream
and start playing the 'sample' again. God only knows what this will
do to bandwidth!?!

[.This has an interesting parallel with recent chat in other places about
random access URLs which only ask for 'part' of whatever's sitting on the
server. The first verse of your fave song would be:

http://www.noisy.com/rekerds/Disc1/Track5/000000-150000
]

RealAudio *is* extremely cool, and on a closed LAN with fast wires could
prove to be a viable alternative to CDROM-based multi-media packages.
Over WAN things would be different. Many service providers (EUnet in Europe
for one) are *very* anti UDP and related bandwidth killing protocols, we may
see a backlash against large scale use of MBONE-like services on WAN.

Whatever, it's likely that other groups will start to produce slightly
modified versions of Apache which do additional gee-wizzery, so it might
be wize to make room for such enhancements in future code-cleaning sweeps.

Don't even *ask* me about VRML. The future scares me. ;)

Ay.
Re: Real Audio [ In reply to ]
[.NB --- no one from IUMA is actually on the new-httpd list, as of
twenty minutes ago, so jon isn't seeing this reply...
].

howdy, excuse me for jumping in, probably without a lot of background
on the project and what might already be built in. basically, i just
found out about the apache project and am very interested in being involved
with it to whatever degree makes sense and i'm useful. i'd like to do
some beta testing of things and potentially run some new servers on apache
as opposed to the other non-open solutions out there.

Hmmmm... IUMA would certainly make a nice, high-profile beta site.

i think it's a ripe time for being able to include some standard methods
in building some nice extendibility for the future now in something like
apache. i'm not familiar with how involved the apache development crew
is in trying to extend the HTTP spec and how far it's planned to go without
touching the spec. i'm curious whether there are already plans for the
netsite-ish push/pull strategies and communication with passing URL's
and data to open pipes between companion applications. there are people
all over the place doing various extensions based on specific mime-types
as well as moving into non-scalable server-modification solutions and i'd
like to see all of that be able to come under one roof so as to reach the
widest audience being able to benefit from such extensions.

Well, here's the server maintainers telling us what they want... it's
just so disarmingly (and deliberately --- see below) vague. (NB the
only thing you really need to make NetSite push/pull work is nph-
scripts, which give you an unbuffered pipe back to the client, so you
can control when the client gets the frames. AddHandler would provide
a slight convenience here, in that it would allow you to avoid having
to stick that 'nph-' on the client-visible names of things, but I
think what he *really* wants here are Java applets implementing
protocols of their own).

obviously, a lot of this ends up being on the client side, but it seems
to me that if you build a back-side standard, the folks making the browsers
will jump at incorporating new standards (hence my veering off in the previous
paragraph about the HTTP spec). i'm sure i'm not alone in wanting to avoid
the future of having one company designing all sorts of proprietary
communication methods between their server and their client (sort of reminds
me about the scary aspects of microsoft's future plans).

jon r. luini, iuma kaiser - falcon@iuma.com IUMA Info: info@iuma.com
.___ ____ ___ _____ _____
| | | \ \ / _ \ the net's first hi-fi music archive
| | | / Y \/ /_\ \ .:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:
| | | / | \ | \ The Internet Underground Music Archive
|___|______/____|__ /___|__ / bands/music/labels/images/lawn darts
===================\/=======\/============================================
URL - http://www.iuma.com/ Phone: (408) 426-4862

rst
Re: Real Audio [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 19 Apr 1995, jon r. luini wrote:
> i think it's a ripe time for being able to include some standard methods
> in building some nice extendibility for the future now in something like
> apache.

"Extending" and "Standard" are sorta mutually exclusive :) Actually
there is a proposal for an extension system in HTTP itself, but Roy
(HTTP-ra) has noted problems in it. But hopefully there'll be something
soon like that.

> i'm not familiar with how involved the apache development crew
> is in trying to extend the HTTP spec and how far it's planned to go without
> touching the spec.

I think the goals are, in my mind at least:

1) Follow the 1.0 spec as closely as possible - as we've found with content
negotiation and other things, there's actually some pretty cool shite in
there that if more sites supported could really advance things.

2) Test out an implementation of 1.1 - I'm particularly interested in the
SESSION method whereby multiple GETs could be issued in one transaction.

3) Maybe go to HTTP-NG - though I have a feeling we might not see a
benefit from that with the current code base and the single-threading
architecture. Maybe we can cannibalize Apache (oh, god, bad word choice)
and stick its functions onto something like MDMA.

> i'm curious whether there are already plans for the
> netsite-ish push/pull strategies

Those are mostly external to HTTP. For client pull, you need to be able
to send the "Refresh:" header, which while not a standard HTTP header
isn't illegal (much less offensive than extraneous netscape tags :). You
can do this with an .asis file type. For server push, it's up to the
server application developer to build code that just sends Multipart
snippets at timed intervals. I can see gross abuse of these functions in
applications that either don't really need it (animation) or can be done
more efficiently otherwise.

> and communication with passing URL's
> and data to open pipes between companion applications.

For the client side, you're talking about their proprietary API which
uses OLE, AppleEvents, or XEvents depending on the platform. If you mean
their server, you're again talking about a proprietary API. The server
API looked rather interesting, and perhaps deserves an RFC or
standardization of its own amongst server developers, and we'd certainly
support that effort. We're not going to try and compete against Netscape
feature-for-feature (I'm sure Rob M.'s not worried, at least! :) of
course.

> there are people
> all over the place doing various extensions based on specific mime-types

Extensions to the server based on MIME types? Yup, I know we've extended the
"feature" of NCSA's httpd in polluting the MIME namespace for server-based
functions, something I'd like to see die but I know can't for political
reasons until we make a clear break from NCSA-style configuration files.

> as well as moving into non-scalable server-modification solutions

Hmm?

> and i'd
> like to see all of that be able to come under one roof so as to reach the
> widest audience being able to benefit from such extensions.

Clearly there is a need for Netscape, Spry, Navisoft, NCSA, W3O, and
other companies working on servers to come together and discuss API's and
such and decide on a common architecture - but I wouldn't bank on
anyone's becoming a standard any time soon. If something's not a
standard, our criteria for implementing it will be based on whether or
not we think it's a good idea.

> obviously, a lot of this ends up being on the client side, but it seems
> to me that if you build a back-side standard, the folks making the browsers
> will jump at incorporating new standards (hence my veering off in the previous
> paragraph about the HTTP spec).

Hmm - I'd think they could be as orthogonal as possible, hopefully.
Yeah, developing HTTP is going to be a chicken and egg situation, but
hopefully Java can alleviate that. It's my opinion that companies should
be working to make the browsers as smart as possible, as
component-ware-able as possible, and the servers should just do the job
they do well, which is pump out well-typed information.

> none of this message is really designed for much in the way of specific
> i just wanted to toss a couple things out there and if people are interested
> in talking more about it we could do so in a smaller list or later when
> it doesn't get in the way of the current traffic.

No, I love bullshitting about this kind of stuff. I think it helps us
define why we're here :)