Mailing List Archive

Bundled programs (was Re: public_cgi-bin scripts)
On Mon, 17 Apr 1995, Robert S. Thau wrote:
> (An early version of a fairly widely-distributed archie-gateway CGI script
> was written in shell. I was able to fabricate a request to this thing
> which would give me an xterm running on the server --- I only used this on
> my own machine, of course, and mainly as incentive to rewrite the version
> of the thing running locally in Perl).

Which reminds me - many of the programs bundled with NCSA's httpd are
atrocious (shell CGI scripts, an old old version of imagemap, etc). I'll
see if I can scrounge together some decent replacements for all those (or
suggestions for removal - in many cases those scripts are serious
security holes).

Brian

brian@organic.com brian@hyperreal.com http://www.[hyperreal,organic].com/
Re: Bundled programs (was Re: public_cgi-bin scripts) [ In reply to ]
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 1995 15:21:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Behlendorf <brian@organic.com>

Which reminds me - many of the programs bundled with NCSA's httpd are
atrocious (shell CGI scripts, an old old version of imagemap, etc). I'll
see if I can scrounge together some decent replacements for all those (or
suggestions for removal - in many cases those scripts are serious
security holes).

Brian

Hmmm... yes... we really ought to be distributing the "new imagemap"
script, if we aren't already (at least until we support AddHandler and
can do it *right* ;-).

rst
Re: Bundled programs (was Re: public_cgi-bin scripts) [ In reply to ]
> Which reminds me - many of the programs bundled with NCSA's httpd are
> atrocious (shell CGI scripts, an old old version of imagemap, etc). I'll
> see if I can scrounge together some decent replacements for all those (or
> suggestions for removal - in many cases those scripts are serious
> security holes).
>
> Brian

Yes, please do! It would be particularly nice if they handled HEAD
requests correctly. Also, I would prefer that the distribution puts
all CGI scripts in cgi-src (leaving cgi-bin empty), so that the
installer has to think about a script before it becomes active.
The only one I would distribute in cgi-bin is the shell script for
testcgi (updated for CGI 1.1, please).