Mailing List Archive

analog-help: Setting up a weekly analysis.
Hi all,

I'm sort of an end-user, having several accounts on a system that runs
analog on a weekly basis. I've been trying to get the script to do this
from my ISP but they haven't provided me with it, either thinking I'm going
to start my own ISP with it (yeah, right) or because they simply don't
know. Their system was set up by someone else, so it's possible they don't
know where to look for the line item.

What they do is create a weekly analysis using analog and name the output
CRUNCHLOGyymmdd.html, with an index.html that is updated each time, all in
a subdirectory called CRUNCHLOG.

So...

1. How do they do this? I'm trying to get this info for a friend who has a
site on another server. The folks at that ISP said they'd be interested in
running analog on a weekly basis for all their customers as well.

2. Also, in speaking with my ISP they told me that the other ISP would have
to recompile their webserver to have all the environment variables turned
on, such as referer, host, etc., for analog to do its full reporting.
Anyone know how to do that as well? They use Apache on Redhat, I believe.

BTW, Stephan, replies are set to go back to the author, instead of back to
the list. Was that done on purpose?

Michael Muller Information is not knowledge
mik@treebranch.com Knowledge is not wisdom
http://www.treebranch.com - Frank Zappa
New York City Environmentalism Online.
analog-help: Setting up a weekly analysis. [ In reply to ]
>What they do is create a weekly analysis using analog and name the output
>CRUNCHLOGyymmdd.html, with an index.html that is updated each time, all in
>a subdirectory called CRUNCHLOG.
>
>1. How do they do this? I'm trying to get this info for a friend who has a
>site on another server. The folks at that ISP said they'd be interested in
>running analog on a weekly basis for all their customers as well.

Under Unix it would be a simple cron entry to run analog on Sunday with
command line options to limit it to a week and set the report output
location (assuming Analog is installed in the analog directory):

give cron:

17 2 * * 0 analog/analog +F-00-00-07 +T-00-00-01 -OCRUNCHLOG`date
+%y%m%d`.html

'17 2 * * 0' tells cron to run on Sundays at 2:17 AM.

+F-00-00-07 +T-00-00-01 tells Analog to process seven days ago through
yesterday.

-OCRUNCHLOG`date +%y%m%d`.html constructs a file name with YYMMDD in it
as a location for Analog to output the report.

Any reasonably competent Unix sysadmin should know how to set this up.

>2. Also, in speaking with my ISP they told me that the other ISP would have
>to recompile their webserver to have all the environment variables turned
>on, such as referer, host, etc., for analog to do its full reporting.
>Anyone know how to do that as well? They use Apache on Redhat, I believe.

The server log format should probably be NCSA Combined format. In the
Apache configuration file use:
LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %s %b \"%{Referer}i\" \"%{User-agent}i\""

It is very very very unlikely that this will require recompiling. The
server will just have to be restarted after editing the configuration
file.

You shouldn't use an ISP that doesn't understand how to do that. They
might not want to do it, it uses alot of disk space for the log, but they
better understand how to do it.

-----------------
Jason@Summary.Net
analog-help: Setting up a weekly analysis. [ In reply to ]
I use this script with Netscape enterprise server on Solaris,
you may need to modify it for your paths or whatever:

#!/bin/sh
###script may be distributed freely, as is, no warrantees###
###first, set variable to store file
FILENAME1=`date '+/webstuff/logs/httpwkend%m_%d_%y'`
###then copy this week's log to safe place
cp /usr/local/netscape/suitespot/https-www/logs/access_log
$FILENAME1
### This is needed forNetscape Enterprise server, the first
line indicates the logfile format
head -1 /usr/local/netscape/suitespot/https-www/logs/access_log
> /tmp/www-tmp
### reset's the log file to zero
cat /tmp/www-tmp >
/usr/local/netscape/suitespot/https-www/logs/access_log
### compresses the saved file
/opt/FSFgzip/bin/gzip $FILENAME1
###name of output file
FILENAME4=`date '+/internet/http/stats/wkend%m_%d_%y.htm'`
###runs analog
/opt/FSFgzip/bin/zcat $FILENAME1 | /internet/analog/analog >>
$FILENAME4
###copies the file for easy access via a bookmark, but the
directory contains history files
cp $FILENAME4 /internet/http/stats/last_week.htm

cc: (bcc: Mark S. Kaprow/KGMP/CO/GSA/GOV)

Subject: Re: analog-help: Setting up a weekly analysis.

>What they do is create a weekly analysis using analog and name
the output >CRUNCHLOGyymmdd.html, with an index.html that is
updated each time, all in >a subdirectory called CRUNCHLOG.

>1. How do they do this? I'm trying to get this info for a
friend who has a >site on another server. The folks at that ISP
said they'd be interested in >running analog on a weekly basis
for all their customers as well.

Under Unix it would be a simple cron entry to run analog on
Sunday with command line options to limit it to a week and set
the report output location (assuming Analog is installed in the
analog directory):

give cron:

17 2 * * 0 analog/analog +F-00-00-07 +T-00-00-01
-OCRUNCHLOG`date
+%y%m%d`.html

'17 2 * * 0' tells cron to run on Sundays at 2:17 AM.

+F-00-00-07 +T-00-00-01 tells Analog to process seven days ago
through yesterday.

-OCRUNCHLOG`date +%y%m%d`.html constructs a file name with
YYMMDD in it as a location for Analog to output the report.

Any reasonably competent Unix sysadmin should know how to set
this up.

>2. Also, in speaking with my ISP they told me that the other
ISP would have >to recompile their webserver to have all the
environment variables turned >on, such as referer, host, etc.,
for analog to do its full reporting. >Anyone know how to do
that as well? They use Apache on Redhat, I believe.

The server log format should probably be NCSA Combined format.
In the
Apache configuration file use:
LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %s %b \"%{Referer}i\"
\"%{User-agent}i\""

It is very very very unlikely that this will require
recompiling. The server will just have to be restarted after
editing the configuration file.

You shouldn't use an ISP that doesn't understand how to do
that. They might not want to do it, it uses alot of disk space
for the log, but they better understand how to do it.

-----------------
Jason@Summary.Net
-----------------
Dr. Seuss books . . . can be read and enjoyed on several
levels. For example, 'One Fish Two Fish, Red Fish Blue Fish'
can be deconstructed as a searing indictment of the
narrow-minded binary counting system.
-- Peter van der Linden, Expert C Programming, Deep C Secrets

analog-help: Setting up a weekly analysis. [ In reply to ]
Please note that the MTA reformatted the script. Just make it
so that there is one line of comment followed by one line of
script.

From: Mark S. Kaprow on 12/01/98 10:35 AM

To: analog-help@lists.isite.net AT
internet@gsa@gsa-mail2@ccMTA-GEMS-CO-01
cc: (bcc: Mark S. Kaprow/KGMP/CO/GSA/GOV)

I use this script with Netscape enterprise server on Solaris,
you may need to modify it for your paths or whatever:

#!/bin/sh
###script may be distributed freely, as is, no warrantees###
###first, set variable to store file
FILENAME1=`date '+/webstuff/logs/httpwkend%m_%d_%y'`
###then copy this week's log to safe place
cp /usr/local/netscape/suitespot/https-www/logs/access_log
$FILENAME1
### This is needed forNetscape Enterprise server, the first
line indicates the logfile format
head -1 /usr/local/netscape/suitespot/https-www/logs/access_log
> /tmp/www-tmp
### reset's the log file to zero
cat /tmp/www-tmp >

From: "jason linhart" <jason@summary.net> AT internet on