Mailing List Archive

analog-help: Form Interface-help!
Hi!
I'm having a few problems with the Analog Form Interface, and was hoping
somebody out there could help me.
I've followed the troubleshooting tips specified in the online
documentation (see below).

The error message I receive when I run the program without the qv=1
option is as follows:
The system cannot find the path specified. Analog failed to run or
returned an error code. Maybe your server's error log will give a clue
why.

1.Look in the server's error log for clues.
- No clues, nothing, zip.
2.Are all the file permissions set correctly? Do other CGI programs work
on your server?
- Yep.
3.Include qv=1 in the arguments as explained above. If this works, then
at least the CGI program is working.
- It works
4.Try running the cgi program from the shell. Set the environment
variable QUERY_STRING to equal "xq=1", or "xq=1&qv=1", and run
anlgform.cgi directly.
- It works (see below)
D:\www\cgi-bin>SET QUERY_STRING="xq=1&qv=1"
D:\www\cgi-bin>anlgform
OUTFILE stdout
WARNINGS FL
OUTPUT HTML
DNS NONE

The analog program is in the c:\analog\ directory along with the
analog.cfg file and the logfile to be analysed.
I'm using Analog v3.11

Thanks
Jo

analog-help: Form Interface-help! [ In reply to ]
Hi Jo, you have the privilege (?!) of asking the very first question on
this list.

I think the problem is that if your anlgform program is on the D: drive,
then the \analog\ directory (with the analog.exe excutable) needs to be
too.

Also, the analog.cfg and the lang directory need to be in the same
directory as anlgform, not as analog. This is extremely annoying, but I
don't see a way round it.

I ought to make all this more explicit in the documentation. Maybe Unix
and Windows need separate form instructions, in the same way as I've split
the "Getting Started" pages?

Anyway, I hope that's enough to get you started. Ask again if you still
can't get it to work.

--
Stephen Turner sret1@cam.ac.uk http://www.statslab.cam.ac.uk/~sret1/
Normally: Statistical Laboratory, 16 Mill Lane, Cambridge CB2 1SB, England

analog-help: Form Interface-help! [ In reply to ]
Hi again!
Good news, everything works really well, thanks.

Stephen Turner wrote:

> I ought to make all this more explicit in the documentation. Maybe Unix
> and Windows need separate form instructions, in the same way as I've split
> the "Getting Started" pages?

I believe that it's a good idea to have different setup instructions for Unix and
Windows since the same files have to be placed in different locations on Linux and
NT servers. eg. the lang directory.

Thanks again
Jo
p.s. Enjoy Canada, it's soooo cool! (I'm here from England for a year with BUNAC
/Student Work Abroad Program)