Mailing List Archive

Updated analog.exe with expanded memory (3GB) support
I've had a little success working around the 2GB memory limit issue with the
32-bit analog.exe for Windows.

After trying to see if I could re-compile Analog with 3GB support, I found
it was possible to directly edit the existing binary using this command:

editbin.exe /LARGEADDRESSAWARE analog.exe

This created a version of analog.exe that can access up to 3GB of memory on
Windows systems that have the /3GB switch enabled.

It's not as good as a full 64-bit version (any progress on that front?), but
it may give some of you a little more breathing room.

I still don't know how to modify the source or compiling parameters for
this, but you can use the command above to achieve the same effect.

I'm happy to send the .exe to anyone who's interested.

Re: Updated analog.exe with expanded memory (3GB) support [ In reply to ]
Nick Altmann <nickalt@gmail.com> wrote:

>> It's not as good as a full 64-bit version (any progress on that
>> front?), but it may give some of you a little more breathing room.

My interest in the 64-bit version was purely academic - when I documented the process for compiling the 32-bit Windows version, I checked to see whether a 64-bit version would be a possibility, but the 64-bit version of MinGW was a very early alpha at that point. I had a quick look at the project page today (http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw-w64/0, and it's still listed as alpha, but the discussion forum indicates that it's a bit more usable at this point.

If I had the time (and a pressing need), I'd invest an afternoon in trying to get it working, but I think I'll leave it on the to-do list for now :-)

Aengus