using *Timeout* value also and my *KeepAlive *is set to Off.But under the
"Processing Time" report I do get entries where the request was served with
value more than 10 mins ie 600 sec.

So if the Client would have timeout before my guess is but how come the
request was successful.The response code also we get is 200 OK.
Can you please help me on this.
Thanks and regards
-A
Re: Help on Processing Time [ In reply to ]
On 9/5/2008 9:22 AM, Arnab Ganguly wrote:
> Hi All,
> I print the %T value in the access log.As per the apache docs %T
> implies the "The time taken to serve the request, in seconds".
> My question is my Client and Server timeout is kept for 25 seconds.I am
> not using *Timeout* value also and my *KeepAlive *is set to Off.But
> under the "Processing Time" report I do get entries where the request
> was served with value more than 10 mins ie 600 sec.
>
> So if the Client would have timeout before my guess is but how come the
> request was successful.The response code also we get is 200 OK.
> Can you please help me on this.
> Thanks and regards

If a user on a slow link (a dialup modem, for example) is downloading a
large file, I believe that the %T value reflects the length of time it
takes that particular download to complete.

I'm not certain about that, but you should be able to confirm it by
looking at the details of some of the log entries that show high %T values.

Aengus
Re: Help on Processing Time [ In reply to ]
Thanks for help and giving me a wonderful example.Can you give me some more
inputs littile bit off topic, suppose some user is downloading the file,
once the download is complete then only the final 200 ok is propagated to
the client from the server or there would be in between message interaction
with the client as well?
Also where does the Client ,Server message transaction timer comes into the
picture as in this case it takes long time for downloading so the timer is
going to expires.
Regards
Arnab

Re: Help on Processing Time [ In reply to ]
Arnab Ganguly <aganguly01@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thanks for help and giving me a wonderful example.Can you give me
>> some more inputs littile bit off topic, suppose some user is
>> downloading the file, once the download is complete then only the
>> final 200 ok is propagated to the client from the server or there
>> would be in between message interaction with the client as well?

For a straightforward HTTP download, there would usually only be a single entry in the log file, with a 200 status code. But there are circumstances, most notably PDF files, where, if the server supports it, you may encounter partial downloads, with repeated 206 status codes. (http://analog.cx/docs/faq.html#faq143)

>> Also where does the Client ,Server message transaction timer comes
>> into the picture as in this case it takes long time for downloading
>> so the timer is going to expires.

That's really more of a server specific question - different servers could deal with it in different ways. But strictly speaking a time-out doesn't occur, because there is continuous communication between the client and server during that download - the server only sends packets as the client requests them, otherwise the server, with it's high speed connection, would just spit out the whole transaction faster than the client could accept it.

Aengus