Mailing List Archive

Unique Visits/Distinct Host Served/Request
I know that there isn't a fool-proof way of determining actual unique visits a site recieves but, is there anything thing on the charts that may come close?
Re: Unique Visits/Distinct Host Served/Request [ In reply to ]
Kush <aethiops007@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I know that there isn't a fool-proof way of determining actual
>> unique visits a site recieves but, is there anything thing on the
>> charts that may come close?

Make up your own definition of "unique visit" and then make up your own mind about what report in Analog best matches your definition of "unique visits". For some people that will be the Host Report, for some people it will be the User Report, for some people it will a particular file in the Request Report, for some it will be the Search Engine Report or the Internal Search Engine Report.

Different websites have different traffic patterns, so the answers will be different for different websites.

Aengus

Re: Unique Visits/Distinct Host Served/Request [ In reply to ]
I've read that "request for pages" can be used as page views. But, I've recieve an average of 30 million request per day (for files) but it states that I receive almost 8,000 request for pages, and 5 million "distinct hosts served" per day. How is that possible? Is there an average is can come up with, or an mathmatical formula I can come up with to tell my potential advertisers?

Re: Unique Visits/Distinct Host Served/Request [ In reply to ]
On 8/29/2008 11:25 AM, Kush wrote:
> I've read that "request for pages" can be used as page views. But,
> I've recieve an average of 30 million request per day (for files)
> but it states that I receive almost 8,000 request for pages, and
> 5 million "distinct hosts served" per day. How is that possible?

Define "page". By default, Analog considers .html and .htm and
directories (*/) as "Pages". If you use something else to define a page,
then you need to tell Analog about it.

http://analog.cx/docs/include.html#PAGEINCLUDE

> Is there an average is can come up with, or an mathmatical formula
> I can come up with to tell my potential advertisers?

As I said before, every website is different. A rule of thumb that might
work for your website would be utterly useless for someone else's
website. You'd have to have a pretty intimate understanding of any
particular website to make a fair judgement about what metrics might
make sense for that particular website.

Re: Unique Visits/Distinct Host Served/Request [ In reply to ]
I understand my website enough to make a guess has to how many files are being requested and that could be divided into the number 'successful request'. Does Analog read .PHP as a page?

Re: Unique Visits/Distinct Host Served/Request [ In reply to ]

Re: Unique Visits/Distinct Host Served/Request [ In reply to ]
STOP SENDING EMAILS TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Unique Visits/Distinct Host Served/Request [ In reply to ]
We use PHP to define as pages.