Mailing List Archive

analog error during analyzing a set of large logfiles
Hello,

we have a problem analyzing our logfiles. The error "Fatal error: Ran
out of memory: cannot continue: exiting" occured when the common size of
the logfiles crosses a limit about 80 GB. At this time the memory load
of the analog process reached 4081 MB, but more than 3 GB of memory are
still free and available.
We read the FAQ's and manuals, and performed the decsribed solutions
with config item "HOSTLOWMEM" - but this didn't eliminate the error.
We used analog 6.0 on a Sun-Fire-V240 with 2 cpu and 8 GB RAM. OS is
Solaris 8.

We hope that somebody has a solution for our problem.

Regards
Christian

* Christian Große Statistisches Bundesamt *
* II B *
* Gustav-Stresemann-Ring 11 *
* Tel. +49 611 75-2166 65189 Wiesbaden *
* Fax +49 611 72-4000 Deutschland *
* *
* christian.grosse@destatis.de http://www.destatis.de *
RE: analog error during analyzing a set of large logfiles [ In reply to ]
In order to access beyond 4GB of memory you will need to compile Analog. You'll need to download the source code and then modify the commented sections in the make file to properly build a 64-bit binary.

It's possible that there's a 64-bit distribution in binary form (say in ports), but I'm not aware of it.

--

Jeremy Wadsack
Seven Simple Machines

Re: analog error during analyzing a set of large logfiles [ In reply to ]
Christian Grosse <christian.grosse@destatis.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> we have a problem analyzing our logfiles. The error "Fatal error: Ran
> out of memory: cannot continue: exiting" occured when the common size
> of the logfiles crosses a limit about 80 GB. At this time the memory
> load of the analog process reached 4081 MB, but more than 3 GB of
> memory are still free and available.
> We read the FAQ's and manuals, and performed the decsribed solutions
> with config item "HOSTLOWMEM" - but this didn't eliminate the error.
> We used analog 6.0 on a Sun-Fire-V240 with 2 cpu and 8 GB RAM. OS is
> Solaris 8.
>
> We hope that somebody has a solution for our problem.

According to an old post in the archives (June 2001), there was hard limit of 4G in the version of Solaris being used at that time.
http://lists.meer.net/pipermail/analog-help/2001-June/009019.html

4081MB is pretty close to that limit. I don't deal with Solaris on a regular basis, and 4G would be much more restrictive today that it was then, but is there any chance that this might a Solaris issue?

Aengus