Mailing List Archive

GeoIP Patch for Analog
Hi !
I have worked on anlog and modified it to have GeoIP-resolution. I have well documented the implementation of GeoIP resolution. I have also provided example report in html format. I have released it as open source. If somebody is interested then he/she can download the patch from following link.

http://www.ownmail.com/analog-geoip.php

Please feel free to ask queries or difficulties you face in implementation.

Thank's With Warm Regards
-ravikumar
Re: GeoIP Patch for Analog [ In reply to ]
looks cool- i might mess with that.

--
-Kevin
/* Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and
Re: GeoIP Patch for Analog [ In reply to ]
Hey,

This looks good but has anybody tried it? If somebody want to compile
everything for Win32 and upload it I'll definitely give it a go. Otherwise,
there are two things putting me off doing this myself. Firstly finding and
reinstalling MinGW which I have only ever used for Analog patches and secondly
this lurking at the bottom of the instructions on how to make GeoIP work...

"You must have OS-report on and Browser-report and Browser-summary off."

I guess it's more important for me to know what browser people are using than
where they actually are. Isn't there an add-on available already that will
find people's locations anyhow?

Paul

Re: Re: GeoIP Patch for Analog [ In reply to ]
"Paul Wade" <paul@astrologywizard.com> said:

> This looks good but has anybody tried it? If somebody want to compile
> everything for Win32 and upload it I'll definitely give it a go.
> Otherwise,
> there are two things putting me off doing this myself. Firstly finding
> and
> reinstalling MinGW which I have only ever used for Analog patches and
> secondly
> this lurking at the bottom of the instructions on how to make GeoIP
> work...
>
> "You must have OS-report on and Browser-report and Browser-summary off."
>
> I guess it's more important for me to know what browser people are using
> than
> where they actually are. Isn't there an add-on available already that
> will
> find people's locations anyhow?

I haven't been able to look at Ravikumar's modifcations to tree.c, so I'm
not sure exactly what changes he's made, but I assume he decided to
sacrifice the Browser reports because they already provide a mechanism for
sorting the GeoIP information in a 2 stage hierarchy.

Another approach that might work without sacrificing the Browser Report,
or recompiling Analog itself would be to use the GeoIP code to create a
DNS file (or to modify the IP address using the UNCOMPRESS technique
ravikumar used). Using the DNS information, the Organization or Domain
Report could be used to display the Country and City information, with one
slight modification - you would also have to crate a custom DOMAINFILE (eg
geoip.tab) that set the depth of each country to 2.

The GeoIP code would set the IP address to bombay.in, madras.in,
chennai.in madrid.es, barcelona.es, chicago.us, etc, and the Domain Report
would look like
123 .in (India
57 bombay.in
43 madras.in
12 chennai.in
102 .es (Spain)
47 madrid.es
23 barcelona.es

etc. It's not quite as pretty as ravikumars solution, because Analog
automatically lowercases domain names, and placenames with spaces would
have to use dashes or underscores, but it's somewhat easier to implement.

The GeoIP API code is also available in a number of different languages,
including perl, so there are a number of options available.

http://www.maxmind.com/download/geoip/api/

Aengus

Re: GeoIP Patch for Analog [ In reply to ]
Hey Aengus,

Thanks for your advice and feedback. Following your clues, it seems a number
of websites implement GeoIP online, for example this one...

http://www.geoiptool.com/

... which gets my country okay, but puts my city as Rugby, 187 km as the crow
flies from where I am.

That's a long way and a totally different region in the UK, although better
than nothing I suppose!

:o{

Paul

Re: Re: GeoIP Patch for Analog [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 07:49:59PM +0000, Paul Wade wrote:
> http://www.geoiptool.com/
>
> ... which gets my country okay, but puts my city as Rugby, 187 km as the crow
> flies from where I am.
>
> That's a long way and a totally different region in the UK, although better
> than nothing I suppose!

That's because that tool only uses the first level ARIN/RIPE and similar
allocations and isn't smart/ambitious enough to traverse down in to any
referral servers... or so it would appear. Similarly, my IP is listed a
good 30 or 40 miles (48 or 64KM) away.

--
Russell M. Van Tassell
russell@loosenut.com

"Quick to judge, Quick to anger, slow to understand. Ignorance and
prejudice and fear walk hand in hand." - N. Peart
Re: Re: GeoIP Patch for Analog [ In reply to ]
Salaam!

Russell Van Tassell wrote:

> Paul Wade wrote:
>> http://www.geoiptool.com/
>> ... puts my city as Rugby, 187 km as the crow
>> flies from where I am.

> That's because that tool only uses the first level ARIN/RIPE and
> similar allocations and isn't smart/ambitious enough to traverse
> down in to any referral servers... or so it would appear.
> Similarly, my IP is listed a good 30 or 40 miles (48 or 64KM) away.

"fubar.loosenut.com" appears to be in the vicinity of Mountain
View, California, although the carrier, MegaPath Networks, is sited in
Costa Mesa, California; I'm guessing that neither is where you are,
but either is close enough, I would imagine, for most Analog users.
But yours is a diminishing case ... the rise of WiFi in rural
communities is changing the reliability of geoIP-like tools.

Check the headers on this eMail (I'm copying these examples from
another eMail, so they might not match exactly) ~

correctly identifies my IP address (it's here on my desk) and even my
local machine, but 67.90.227.7 is registered in Herndon, Virginia ~
and I'm north of Spokane, Washington; and the IP-Network
67.90.227.0/27 ~ registered to my ISP, Ecliptixnet Broadband ~ is not
shown in whois records even as located in the Spokane region.

But for Analog purposes, it's even worse ~ this 67.90.* block is
behind Ecliptixnet's primary IP address, 66.239.236.122, is registered
with XO Communications in San Jose, California, and in Herndon,
Virginia. geoIP applications place it in Virginia, and there is
nothing in the public records showing that the NIC bearing that IP
address is physically located in Spokane, Washington.

Ecliptixnet serves several rural communities around Spokane
through radio towers and radio receivers with IP addresses in the
10.64.* range; subscribers using DHCP get 192.168.* addresses behind
66.239.236.122. In other words, hundreds of surfers visiting web
pages leave the 66.* address in the logs, and there is no way to
locate them on the west coast of the country, let alone near Spokane.

I"m using PCHelp's Network Tracer, a DOS utility that presents its
results in a text file at the end of its run. It's very useful, and
free: http://www.pc-help.org/trace.htm ~ I wasn't able to use its
TraceRoute facility (my machine timed out looking for itself), but I
already know the route comes through 66.239.236.122, which is "in
Virginia" to geoIP applications.

I suspect that the capacity to locate a website visitor from his
IP address is diminishing rather than increasing.

was-salaam,
abujamal
--
astaghfirullahal-ladhee laa ilaha illa
howal-hayyul-qayyoom wa 'atoobu 'ilaihi

Rejoice, muslims, in martyrdom without fighting,
a Mercy for us. Be like the better son of Adam.