Mailing List Archive

Advice on using includes or excludes
Hello,

I use Analog to count traffic on a ColdFusion internal news and events
calendar site. There are dozens of different types of URLs captured
within the log files, but the two kinds of pages I need to count --
stories and calendar items --have URLs like this:

STORIES:
http://bnn.ids.web.boeing.com/index.cfm?content=story.cfm&id=5226&bu=11

CALENDAR ITEMS:
http://bnn.ids.web.boeing.com/index.cfm?content=include/event_calendar_s
ite.cfm&region=4&site=49&event_id=11970

Based on these URLs, what would be the best way to configure Analog to
isolate just these 2 types of pages? I've tried a few approaches but
haven't gotten consistent results. Thanks

Richard

Richard Esposito, IDS Technology Communications
562-797-1258 desk / 714-287-3526 cell

Re: Advice on using includes or excludes [ In reply to ]
At Monday, March 31, 2008 4:34 PM, Esposito, Richard
<richard.esposito@boeing.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I use Analog to count traffic on a ColdFusion internal news and events
> calendar site. There are dozens of different types of URLs captured
> within the log files, but the two kinds of pages I need to count --
> stories and calendar items --have URLs like this:
>
> STORIES:
> http://bnn.ids.web.boeing.com/index.cfm?content=story.cfm&id=5226&bu=11
>
> CALENDAR ITEMS:
> http://bnn.ids.web.boeing.com/index.cfm?content=include/event_calendar_s
> ite.cfm&region=4&site=49&event_id=11970
>
> Based on these URLs, what would be the best way to configure Analog to
> isolate just these 2 types of pages? I've tried a few approaches but
> haven't gotten consistent results. Thanks

I'd be inclined to use FILEALIAS to seperate those entries out in the
Request Report.

FILEALIAS /index.cfm?content=story.cfm* story.cfm$1
FILEALIAS /index.cfm?content=include/event_calendar_site.cfm*
calendar.cfm$1

(I'm assuming that the http://bnn.... part isn't in your log file. If it
is, you can just put * before the /index.cfm part)

If you don't care about the additional parameters after the &, you can
leave the $1 out.

Aengus

RE: Advice on using includes or excludes [ In reply to ]
<<I'd be inclined to use FILEALIAS to seperate those entries out in the
Request Report.>>

Would doing this be enough to keep the page view count down to just
those 2 kinds of pages?

Re: Advice on using includes or excludes [ In reply to ]
Esposito, Richard <richard.esposito@boeing.com> wrote:
> <<I'd be inclined to use FILEALIAS to seperate those entries out in
> the Request Report.>>
>
> Would doing this be enough to keep the page view count down to just
> those 2 kinds of pages?

I'm not sure I understand. With those two FILEALIAS commands, your story.cfm and event_calendar_site.cfm requests will not be included with everything else in the index.cfm count - they'll be seperate entries in the Request Report, with their own Page count columns.

Aengus

RE: Advice on using includes or excludes [ In reply to ]
Your confusion is probably due to my lack of understanding of how this
website works. What I hope to end up with is a "Successful Requests for
Pages" number that reflects only these 2 types of files. I wasn't sure
if I needed to write FILEEXCLUDES for every other kind of file shown in
the request report, or if there were some other easier way to do it.

Re: Advice on using includes or excludes [ In reply to ]
At Tuesday, April 01, 2008 6:25 PM, Esposito, Richard
<richard.esposito@boeing.com> wrote:

> Your confusion is probably due to my lack of understanding of how this
> website works. What I hope to end up with is a "Successful Requests
> for Pages" number that reflects only these 2 types of files. I wasn't
> sure if I needed to write FILEEXCLUDES for every other kind of file
> shown in the request report, or if there were some other easier way
> to do it. Thanks.

Okay, the simplest solution is to just use these commands:
FILEALIAS /index.cfm?content=story.cfm* /story.cfm
FILEALIAS /index.cfm?content=include/event_calendar_site.cfm*
/calendar.cfm
FILEINCLUDE /story.cfm
FILEINCLUDE /calendar.cfm

The FILEALIAS commands will convert all references to content=story.cfm to
plain old /story.cfm, throwing away a lthe additional parameters, and the
same for the calendar requests. Then the FILEINCLUDE commands will tell
analog to ignore all the log entries except for the story and calendar
entries, and that should give you what you want.

Aengus