Mailing List Archive

on translating description of analog
Hi,

I need some help for understanding the introduction of analog. I was
translating description of analog package into Chinese for Debian, and
I encountered a word 'scalable' in the introduction of analog, as in

"Analog shows you the usage patterns on your web server. It's
Ultra-fast
*Scalable*
Highly configurable
"

I'm not a native English speaker, and it's kind of hard for me to
choose a proper word for 'Scalable' in Chinese. I'm not sure which of
the following explanations is the most close one.

A. scalable means analog can be used in many circumstances, for logs
generated by several users, and for logs generated millions of users;
B. scalable means source code of analog is highly modulized, and can
be tailored and customized for different usage;
C. scalable means performance of analog is very good, no matter used
in what circumstances, even those extremed ones.

Would you please tell me which one is more accurate. Also If none of
them are not even remotely close to the real meaning or you have a
better explanation, please tell me.

Thanks.

Quinn Li
RE: on translating description of analog [ In reply to ]
Hi Quinn Li,

Option A is pretty close to the truth, it works on setups large and small alike.

Regards,

John Harman