I'd like to use Analog but don't have root access to a UNIX server to install it on. Is there a way to run Analog on my laptop and have the Websphere logs from the Solaris 2.8 web server as the input files?

Thanks,
Ken
Re: Analog on Windows [ In reply to ]
On Saturday, December 01, 2007 8:30 AM [EDT],
Ken Mooney <k-mooney@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Hi,
> I'd like to use Analog but don't have root access to a UNIX server to
> install it on. Is there a way to run Analog on my laptop and have the
> Websphere logs from the Solaris 2.8 web server as the input files?

You can either copy the log files to your laptop, or you can map a drive to
the files on the server and run Analog locally on your laptop. If the
logfiles are particularly large, it may make sense to compress them before
transporting them across the netwrok - Analog has native support for zipped
and gzipped log fies.

Aengus

Re: Analog on Windows [ In reply to ]
Thank you, it work just as you said, unzipped them perfectly.
One last question, I don't seem to have my Logformat set right. I thought I
read to copy the Logformat from the httpd.conf and I did. Didn't work I get
this.
I tried a few different formats including not using a logformat but that
didn't work either.

here's the end of the an error log; I have debugging on but only tells me so
much...

: Closing logfile test.gz
S: Successful requests: 0
S: Redirected requests: 0
S: Failed requests: 0
S: Requests returning informational status code: 0
S: Status code not given: 0
S: Unwanted lines: 0
S: Corrupt lines: 265
analog: Warning L: Large number of corrupt lines in logfile test.gz: turn
debugging on or try different LOGFORMAT
Current logfile format:
%S %j [%d/%M/%Y:%h:%n:%j] "%j%w%r%wHTTP%j" %c %b "%f" "%B"\n
F: Opening Report.html as output file

Here is a bit of the logfile that is the input for analog, it has customer
info in it so I changed stuff.

11.111.111.111 - - [30/Nov/2007:12:04:04 -0600] "GET
/filename/css/fonts-ie.css HTTP/1.1" 200 1664
"https://website.com/Something" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows
NT 5.1; InfoPath.1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)"

Any thoughts on what I've missed ?

thanks again for your help !

Re: Analog on Windows [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday, December 05, 2007 7:37 PM [EDT],
Ken Mooney <k-mooney@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Thank you, it work just as you said, unzipped them perfectly.
> One last question, I don't seem to have my Logformat set right. I
> thought I read to copy the Logformat from the httpd.conf and I did.
> Didn't work I get this.

If you take the LogFormat statement from a httpd.conf, ou have to tell
Analog that it's written using Apache syntax, not analog syntax - specify
APACHELOGFORMAT (....) instead of LOGFORMAT (....) in the analog.cfg file.

http://analog.cx/docs/logfmt.html

> 11.111.111.111 - - [30/Nov/2007:12:04:04 -0600] "GET
> /filename/css/fonts-ie.css HTTP/1.1" 200 1664
> "https://website.com/Something" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0;
> Windows NT 5.1; InfoPath.1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)"

That's the standard LOGFORMAT COMBINED that Analog will automatically
recognize, but it looks like there are 2 spaces between the referrer and the
Browser string, rather than the single space that Analog expects.

Re: Analog on Windows [ In reply to ]
Cool thanks, I probably put that 2nd space in there when I copied this line
into the email and removed our customers name.

Here's what I was using:
APACHELOGFORMAT (%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %s %b \"%{Referer}i\"
\"%{User-Agent}i\")

If the line in the logfile is standard format then I can just use this one ?

LOGFORMAT COMBINED

Re: Analog on Windows [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday, December 05, 2007 8:27 PM [EDT],
Ken Mooney <k-mooney@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Cool thanks, I probably put that 2nd space in there when I copied
> this line into the email and removed our customers name.

If there's only one space in the actual logfile, then Analog will recognize
that format without any explicit LOGFORMAT statement - it's a standard
Combined logformat that Anaog recognizes automatically.

> Here's what I was using:
> APACHELOGFORMAT (%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %s %b \"%{Referer}i\"
> \"%{User-Agent}i\")

Are there 2 spaces between \"%{Referer}i\" and \"%{User-Agent}i\" ?

> If the line in the logfile is standard format then I can just use
> this one ?
> LOGFORMAT COMBINED

If LOGFORMAT COMBINED works, then it's not actually needed - Analog checks
for that by default.

Aengus