Mailing List Archive

FILEEXCLUDE via anlgform
I can't get FILEEXCLUDE to work -- it's ignored.

Is there a special trick?

How do I exclude all .gif and .jpg/.jpeg files from the report?

thanks,
-W
Re: FILEEXCLUDE via anlgform [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday, November 21, 2007 4:20 AM [EDT],
Walter Ian Kaye <analog-help@natural-innovations.com> wrote:

> I can't get FILEEXCLUDE to work -- it's ignored.

Run Analog with SETTINGS on to see what is and what isn't included.

> How do I exclude all .gif and .jpg/.jpeg files from the report?

Which report? You can exclude non-pages from the Request Report by using the
REQINCLUDE PAGES command. (Make sure your pages are defined properly using
the PAGEINCLUDE command). For other reports, there are seperate columns for
Requests (imcluding images) and for Pages.

Aengus

RE: FILEEXCLUDE via anlgform [ In reply to ]
You might have to go back to basics with this one. The documentation has the following to say on this matter:

The rule for determining whether an item is included or excluded is as follows. All the INCLUDE and EXCLUDE commands for that item are considered one by one in order, and the item is included or excluded according to the last command it matched. Items which don't match any of the INCLUDE or EXCLUDE commands are included if the first command was an exclusion, and excluded if the first command was an inclusion.

Confusing or what! Thankfully their example makes this a little easier to understand. For example, the configuration

FILEINCLUDE /~sret1/*
FILEEXCLUDE /~sret1/backgammon/*,/~sret1/analog/*
FILEINCLUDE /~sret1/backgammon/*.gif

would instruct the program to examine only my files, excluding my backgammon and analog files, but including gifs in my backgammon directory. On the other hand,
FILEEXCLUDE /~sret1/*/img/*

would analyse all files, except for images in my various directories. (If you get confused with all the inclusions and exclusions, remember that you can always use SETTINGS ON to see what the options you have specified represent.) Note that inclusions and exclusions can contain any number of wildcards, and can be lists separated by commas (but no spaces).

I had a similar problem but after some minor changes to the FILEINCLUDE and FILEEXCLUDE statements, and a little re-ordering, it did exactly what I wanted.

John

I can't get FILEEXCLUDE to work -- it's ignored.

Is there a special trick?

How do I exclude all .gif and .jpg/.jpeg files from the report?

thanks,
-W

| Analog Documentation: http://analog.cx/docs/Readme.html List
| archives: http://www.analog.cx/docs/mailing.html#listarchives
| Usenet version: news://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.analog.general
+-

are addressed. No one else is authorised to distribute, forward,
print, copy or act upon any information contained in this email.
If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender.

Hiscox Syndicates Limited, Hiscox Insurance Company Limited,
Hiscox Underwriting Limited and Hiscox Investment Management
Limited are authorised and regulated by the Financial
Services Authority. Hiscox plc is a company registered in England
and Wales under company registration number 2837811 and registered
office at 1 Great St Helen's, London EC3A 6HX
RE: FILEEXCLUDE via anlgform [ In reply to ]
At 03:47 p +0000 11/21/2007, Hunter John didst inscribe upon an
electronic papyrus:

>FILEINCLUDE /~sret1/*
>FILEEXCLUDE /~sret1/backgammon/*,/~sret1/analog/*
>FILEINCLUDE /~sret1/backgammon/*.gif
>
>would instruct the program to examine only my files, excluding my
>backgammon and analog files, but including gifs in my backgammon
>directory. On the other hand,
>FILEEXCLUDE /~sret1/*/img/*
>
>would analyse all files, except for images in my various
>directories. (If you get confused with all the inclusions and
>exclusions, remember that you can always use SETTINGS ON to see what
>the options you have specified represent.) Note that inclusions and
>exclusions can contain any number of wildcards, and can be lists
>separated by commas (but no spaces).
>
>I had a similar problem but after some minor changes to the
>FILEINCLUDE and FILEEXCLUDE statements, and a little re-ordering, it
>did exactly what I wanted.

Hmm... maybe it didn't work because I didn't have root-relative paths?
I had *.gif -- does it only match from the "left"?

Re: FILEEXCLUDE via anlgform [ In reply to ]
Walter Ian Kaye <analog-help@natural-innovations.com> wrote:
> At 03:47 p +0000 11/21/2007, Hunter John didst inscribe upon an
>
> Hmm... maybe it didn't work because I didn't have root-relative paths?
> I had *.gif -- does it only match from the "left"?

*.gif should work just fine.

Do a simple test from first principles - create a 4 line logfile with each entry having a different file type. Run analog against it with your current .cfg file, and see if your FILEEXCLUDEs work as expected.

If they don't, then run analog against the test logfile without any .cfg file:

analog test.log -G +C"FILEEXCLUDE *.gif" +OReport.html

This will demonstrate how analog interprets the FILEEXCLUDE command.

If you're still getting unexpected results, then the order of your INCLUDES/EXCLUDES is the problem. SETTINGS ON will show you the order in which they are being applied.

Aengus

Re: FILEEXCLUDE via anlgform [ In reply to ]
At 06:22 p -0500 11/21/2007, Aengus didst inscribe upon an electronic papyrus:

>Walter Ian Kaye <analog-help@natural-innovations.com> wrote:
>> At 03:47 p +0000 11/21/2007, Hunter John didst inscribe upon an
>>
>> Hmm... maybe it didn't work because I didn't have root-relative paths?
>> I had *.gif -- does it only match from the "left"?
>
>*.gif should work just fine.
>
>Do a simple test from first principles - create a 4 line logfile
>with each entry having a different file type. Run analog against it
>with your current .cfg file, and see if your FILEEXCLUDEs work as
>expected.

Where is my .cfg file? I've never seen it....

>If they don't, then run analog against the test logfile without any .cfg file:
>
>analog test.log -G +C"FILEEXCLUDE *.gif" +OReport.html
>
>This will demonstrate how analog interprets the FILEEXCLUDE command.

OK, I tried that command line on my real log file, and added *.jpg
and *.swf to the exclusion. The gifs/jpegs were excluded, but the
.swf files still showed up. What is going on there? The .swf was
followed by a line for the .swf's query string for clickthru's
(highlighted in a different color). Is that a separate issue? Is the
line above only there to indicate the caller/referrer for the
clickthru?

>If you're still getting unexpected results, then the order of your
>INCLUDES/EXCLUDES is the problem. SETTINGS ON will show you the
>order in which they are being applied.

What sort of interaction is there between the anlgform.pl script and
any other settings elsewhere (wherever elsewhere is -- I haven't
touched anything else)?

Re: FILEEXCLUDE via anlgform [ In reply to ]
On Saturday, November 24, 2007 10:37 AM [EDT],
Walter Ian Kaye <analog-help@natural-innovations.com> wrote:

> What sort of interaction is there between the anlgform.pl script and
> any other settings elsewhere (wherever elsewhere is -- I haven't
> touched anything else)?

anlgform.pl calls the analog program. If you don't know where the analog
configuration files are, or what they contain, then get your anlgform.pl
configuration to report what settings it is using
(http://analog.cx/docs/form.html#formqv).

Aengus

Re: FILEEXCLUDE via anlgform [ In reply to ]
On 24/11/2007, Walter Ian Kaye <analog-help@natural-innovations.com> wrote:
> At 06:22 p -0500 11/21/2007, Aengus didst inscribe upon an electronic papyrus:
>
> OK, I tried that command line on my real log file, and added *.jpg
> and *.swf to the exclusion. The gifs/jpegs were excluded, but the
> .swf files still showed up. What is going on there? The .swf was
> followed by a line for the .swf's query string for clickthru's
> (highlighted in a different color).

You need to exclude *.swf?* too. *.swf doesn't match /blah/blah.swf?foo

> What sort of interaction is there between the anlgform.pl script and
> any other settings elsewhere (wherever elsewhere is -- I haven't
> touched anything else)?

I recommend getting everything working using the program itself first,
before using anlgform.pl, because it just adds an extra level of
complication.

--
Stephen Turner
Re: FILEEXCLUDE via anlgform [ In reply to ]
At 08:37 a -0700 11/24/2007, Walter Ian Kaye didst inscribe upon an
electronic papyrus:

>At 06:22 p -0500 11/21/2007, Aengus didst inscribe upon an electronic papyrus:
>>Do a simple test from first principles - create a 4 line logfile
>>with each entry having a different file type. Run analog against it
>>with your current .cfg file, and see if your FILEEXCLUDEs work as
>>expected.
>
>Where is my .cfg file? I've never seen it....
>

>>If they don't, then run analog against the test logfile without any
>>.cfg file:
>>
>>analog test.log -G +C"FILEEXCLUDE *.gif" +OReport.html
>>
>>This will demonstrate how analog interprets the FILEEXCLUDE command.
>
>OK, I tried that command line on my real log file, and added *.jpg
>and *.swf to the exclusion. The gifs/jpegs were excluded, but

[...]

>>If you're still getting unexpected results, then the order of your
>>INCLUDES/EXCLUDES is the problem. SETTINGS ON will show you the
>>order in which they are being applied.

You mean in the form? It's FILEINCLUDE,FILEEXCLUDE there.
As for my .cfg file (found it at /usr/local/etc/analog.cfg), it does
not contain either command.

So, if I use the fileexclude box, am I then required to put some
wildcard(s) into the fileinclude box which precedes it on the form?

thanks,
-W
not sure the cgi spec ever even mandated any order for form parameters
(i've certainly never relied on any order in my own cgi scripts)