Mailing List Archive

RE: display organisation name
I am using analog 6.0

Can you please tell me how to display the organisation name in the
organisation report, rather than the number as shown below?

Currently displays in the following format.

reqs

%bytes

organisation

255

7.75%

135.196

253

5.42%

80.177

Thanks.

Terri
Re: RE: display organisation name [ In reply to ]
Terri Saunders <TSaunders@pharmami.co.uk> wrote:
> I am using analog 6.0
>
> Can you please tell me how to display the organisation name in the
> organisation report, rather than the number as shown below?

http://analog.cx/docs/faq.html#faq140

By default, Analog doesn't resolve the IP addresses recorded in your logfile into DNS names. For a small log (up to a couple of hundred IP addresses), you can have Analog do the lookups by adding these two lines to your analog.cfg file:

DNSFILE dnscache
DNS WRITE

Because DNS lookups are slow, an Analog report that runs in 2 or 3 seconds without doing DNS lookups might take 10 minutes or an hour with DNS lookups. (Running Analog against the same logfile a second time will be faster, because the DNS lookups will be cached in the dnscache file).

There are a number of "helper applications" that can be used to create that DNS cache file. They are a lot faster than Analog at doing DNS lookups, so if you have more than a couple of hundred IP addresses to deal with, they may be worth the added complexity.

Aengus

Re: RE: display organisation name [ In reply to ]
How about name the ip for.e.g 10.10.x to ABC and 10.20 to XYZ without
resorting to DNS Lookup?

Re: RE: display organisation name [ In reply to ]
At Friday, November 16, 2007 2:21 AM, Shedi Shedi <shedis@gmail.com>
wrote:

> How about name the ip for.e.g 10.10.x to ABC and 10.20 to XYZ without
> resorting to DNS Lookup?

You can use HOSTALIAS to "rename" groups of IP addresses to a single
hostname. I'm sure there's a way to construct a regular expression to
rename a block of IP addresses to a single host name, but regular
expressions aren't my forte, so someone else will have to provide that
answer.

Aengus