--
Mark W. Alexander - mwa@zope.com
Zope Corporation - http://www.zope.com
Re: zope.org move [ In reply to ]
On Aug 18, 2011, at 15:45 , Mark W. Alexander wrote:

> It looks like zope.org has moved.
>
> Congratulations! The new site looks great. I see old.zope.org still comes to
> zope.com's servers. Are there any plans to move or deprecate that content?

Hi Mark,

Right now there are no specific plans for old.zope.org. As you can see from looking at the site, we tried to keep content under /Products (e.g. old Zope releases) and under /Members (member content and software) available for the moment since very little of it was migrated to the new site to keep the scope small.

jens

Re: zope.org move [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 11:02 AM, Jens Vagelpohl <jens@dataflake.org> wrote:

> On Aug 18, 2011, at 15:45 , Mark W. Alexander wrote:
>
>> It looks like zope.org has moved.
>>
>> Congratulations! The new site looks great. I see old.zope.org still comes to
>> zope.com's servers. Are there any plans to move or deprecate that content?
>
> Hi Mark,
>
> Right now there are no specific plans for old.zope.org. As you can see from looking at the site, we tried to keep content under /Products (e.g. old Zope releases) and under /Members (member content and software) available for the moment since very little of it was migrated to the new site to keep the scope small.

Can we spider this into a static site?

Jim

--
Jim Fulton
http://www.linkedin.com/in/jimfulton
Re: zope.org move [ In reply to ]
On Aug 18, 2011, at 17:54 , Jim Fulton wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 11:02 AM, Jens Vagelpohl <jens@dataflake.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Aug 18, 2011, at 15:45 , Mark W. Alexander wrote:
>>
>>> It looks like zope.org has moved.
>>>
>>> Congratulations! The new site looks great. I see old.zope.org still comes to
>>> zope.com's servers. Are there any plans to move or deprecate that content?
>>
>> Hi Mark,
>>
>> Right now there are no specific plans for old.zope.org. As you can see from looking at the site, we tried to keep content under /Products (e.g. old Zope releases) and under /Members (member content and software) available for the moment since very little of it was migrated to the new site to keep the scope small.
>
> Can we spider this into a static site?

Hi Jim,

I'm sure if all the stuff that's currently public is spidered into a static site no one would complain. There's no specific reason for anyone to log in and access protected content, unless a sysadmin needs to fix something. If it's static I could immediately move it off to one of the ZF-controlled servers, too.

jens

Re: zope.org move [ In reply to ]

httrack should be the tool for creating a static site while preserving
all exisiting URLs.

Andreas

Jens Vagelpohl wrote:
> On Aug 18, 2011, at 17:54 , Jim Fulton wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 11:02 AM, Jens Vagelpohl
>> <jens@dataflake.org> wrote:

>>> Hi Mark,
>>>
>>> Right now there are no specific plans for old.zope.org. As you
>>> can see from looking at the site, we tried to keep content under
>>> /Products (e.g. old Zope releases) and under /Members (member
>>> content and software) available for the moment since very little
>>> of it was migrated to the new site to keep the scope small.
>> Can we spider this into a static site?
>

> Hi Jim,
>
> I'm sure if all the stuff that's currently public is spidered into a
> static site no one would complain. There's no specific reason for
> anyone to log in and access protected content, unless a sysadmin
> needs to fix something. If it's static I could immediately move it
> off to one of the ZF-controlled servers, too.
>
> jens

- --
ZOPYX Limited | zopyx group
Charlottenstr. 37/1 | The full-service network for Zope & Plone
D-72070 Tübingen | Produce & Publish
www.zopyx.com | www.produce-and-publish.com

Re: zope.org move [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 12:17 PM, Andreas Jung <lists@zopyx.com> wrote:

> httrack should be the tool for creating a static site while preserving
> all exisiting URLs.

What incantation should I use?

Why should I use this rather than wget?

Jim

Re: zope.org move [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 1:43 PM, Jim Fulton <jim@zope.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 12:17 PM, Andreas Jung <lists@zopyx.com> wrote:
>>
>> httrack should be the tool for creating a static site while preserving
>> all exisiting URLs.
>
> What incantation should I use?

I think I've got it now. I had to tell it to ignore robots.

Jim

Re: zope.org move [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 5:42 PM, Jens Vagelpohl <jens@dataflake.org> wrote:

> On Aug 18, 2011, at 17:54 , Jim Fulton wrote:

>>> Hi Mark,
>>>
>>> Right now there are no specific plans for old.zope.org. As you can see from looking at the site, we tried to keep content under /Products (e.g. old Zope releases) and under /Members (member content and software) available for the moment since very little of it was migrated to the new site to keep the scope small.
>>
>> Can we spider this into a static site?
>

> Hi Jim,
>
> I'm sure if all the stuff that's currently public is spidered into a static site no one would complain. There's no specific reason for anyone to log in and access protected content, unless a sysadmin needs to fix something. If it's static I could immediately move it off to one of the ZF-controlled servers, too.

Great. I have a 400MB tarball. I put in ~zope on app2.zope.org. I assume you
have access to that machine. If not, let me know where I should
put it.

As soon as you bring up a static old.zope.org (and switch dns, of course),
I'll decommission the current machines.

I'm working on deploying an app for management of user accounts for svn access.

Jim

Re: zope.org move [ In reply to ]
Hi Jim,

> Great. I have a 400MB tarball. I put in ~zope on app2.zope.org. I assume you
> have access to that machine. If not, let me know where I should
> put it.
>
> As soon as you bring up a static old.zope.org (and switch dns, of course),
> I'll decommission the current machines.

I'll look at it over the next couple days. Thanks!

jens

Re: zope.org move [ In reply to ]
On Oct 10, 2011, at 08:57 , Jens Vagelpohl wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
>> Great. I have a 400MB tarball. I put in ~zope on app2.zope.org. I assume you
>> have access to that machine. If not, let me know where I should
>> put it.
>>
>> As soon as you bring up a static old.zope.org (and switch dns, of course),
>> I'll decommission the current machines.
>
> I'll look at it over the next couple days. Thanks!

Hi Jim,

I've spent a little time looking at the files and doing some cleanup. It works, mostly. I've deployed it and changed DNS. Once the DNS change has propagated and there is no negative feedback the ZC-hosted version can go away.

Thanks for the tarball!

jens

Re: zope.org move [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 3:55 AM, Jens Vagelpohl <jens@dataflake.org> wrote:

> On Oct 10, 2011, at 08:57 , Jens Vagelpohl wrote:
>
>> Hi Jim,
>>
>>> Great. I have a 400MB tarball.  I put in ~zope on app2.zope.org. I assume you
>>> have access to that machine. If not, let me know where I should
>>> put it.
>>>
>>> As soon as you bring up a static old.zope.org (and switch dns, of course),
>>> I'll decommission the current machines.
>>
>> I'll look at it over the next couple days. Thanks!
>
> Hi Jim,
>
> I've spent a little time looking at the files and doing some cleanup. It works, mostly. I've deployed it and changed DNS. Once the DNS change has propagated and there is no negative feedback the ZC-hosted version can go away.
>
> Thanks for the tarball!

Thanks for setting up the new old site. :)

Jim

Re: zope.org move [ In reply to ]
Hi Jim,

> Great. I have a 400MB tarball. I put in ~zope on app2.zope.org. I assume you
> have access to that machine. If not, let me know where I should
> put it.
>
> As soon as you bring up a static old.zope.org (and switch dns, of course),
> I'll decommission the current machines.

Others have found a serious issue with the static data: Due to the way the software release product and folders were structured, the tarball contains no Zope release tarballs/exe-files. The tarball URLs end up as folders containing the view templates "swreleasefile_view" and "viewMD5".

jens

Re: zope.org move [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 6:34 AM, Jens Vagelpohl <jens@dataflake.org> wrote:
> Hi Jim,
>
>> Great. I have a 400MB tarball.  I put in ~zope on app2.zope.org. I assume you
>> have access to that machine. If not, let me know where I should
>> put it.
>>
>> As soon as you bring up a static old.zope.org (and switch dns, of course),
>> I'll decommission the current machines.
>
> Others have found a serious issue with the static data: Due to the way the software release product and folders were structured, the tarball contains no Zope release tarballs/exe-files. The tarball URLs end up as folders containing the view templates "swreleasefile_view" and "viewMD5".

If I can provide a new tar ball that contains just release files in
folders, can you knit it into the static site?

Jim

Re: zope.org move [ In reply to ]
On Oct 11, 2011, at 15:45 , Jim Fulton wrote:

> If I can provide a new tar ball that contains just release files in
> folders, can you knit it into the static site?

I think the only way to make them available without breaking all internal links to these releases on the static site would be to put them separately and use Apache rewrite magic to try and catch any requests for the files themselves, which would always end in .../Zope-XXX.[tgz|exe|…]

jens

Re: zope.org move [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 10:00 AM, Jens Vagelpohl <jens@dataflake.org> wrote:

> On Oct 11, 2011, at 15:45 , Jim Fulton wrote:
>
>> If I can provide a new tar ball that contains just release files in
>> folders, can you knit it into the static site?
>
> I think the only way to make them available without breaking all internal links to these releases on the static site would be to put them separately and use Apache rewrite magic to try and catch any requests for the files themselves, which would always end in .../Zope-XXX.[tgz|exe|…]

I think you can write a script that just replaces the goofy
directories with the actual tar balls.

Jim

Re: zope.org move [ In reply to ]
On Oct 11, 2011, at 16:53 , Jim Fulton wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 10:00 AM, Jens Vagelpohl <jens@dataflake.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Oct 11, 2011, at 15:45 , Jim Fulton wrote:
>>
>>> If I can provide a new tar ball that contains just release files in
>>> folders, can you knit it into the static site?
>>
>> I think the only way to make them available without breaking all internal links to these releases on the static site would be to put them separately and use Apache rewrite magic to try and catch any requests for the files themselves, which would always end in .../Zope-XXX.[tgz|exe|…]
>
> I think you can write a script that just replaces the goofy
> directories with the actual tar balls.

But that's not enough. The internal links on the static site point to items *past* the tarball filename, like

XXX/Zope-2.12.0-final.tgz/swreleasefile_view.

If I just replace what's currently a folder with the actual tarball I don't need to do any Apache magic and the file will be in the right place, but you cannot navigate to the release file from within the old.zope.org site anymore. The navigation links there will all break.

jens

Re: zope.org move [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 11:05 AM, Jens Vagelpohl <jens@dataflake.org> wrote:

> On Oct 11, 2011, at 16:53 , Jim Fulton wrote:

>>> I think the only way to make them available without breaking all internal links to these releases on the static site would be to put them separately and use Apache rewrite magic to try and catch any requests for the files themselves, which would always end in .../Zope-XXX.[tgz|exe|…]
>>
>> I think you can write a script that just replaces the goofy
>> directories with the actual tar balls.
>
> But that's not enough. The internal links on the static site point to items *past* the tarball filename, like
>
> XXX/Zope-2.12.0-final.tgz/swreleasefile_view.
>
> If I just replace what's currently a folder with the actual tarball I don't need to do any Apache magic and the file will be in the right place, but you cannot navigate to the release file from within the old.zope.org site anymore. The navigation links there will all break.

Can you give an example?

Maybe we need to clean up those links.

Jim

Re: zope.org move [ In reply to ]

Go to http://old.zope.org/Products/Zope/2.11.4/ and notice the link URLs for the items Zope-2.11.4-final.tgz and Zope-2.11.4-win32.exe.

> Maybe we need to clean up those links.

Yes, that's another option.

jens

Re: zope.org move [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 11:18 AM, Jens Vagelpohl <jens@dataflake.org> wrote:

> On Oct 11, 2011, at 17:10 , Jim Fulton wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 11:05 AM, Jens Vagelpohl <jens@dataflake.org> wrote:
>>> But that's not enough. The internal links on the static site point to items *past* the tarball filename, like
>>>
>>> XXX/Zope-2.12.0-final.tgz/swreleasefile_view.
>>>
>>> If I just replace what's currently a folder with the actual tarball I don't need to do any Apache magic and the file will be in the right place, but you cannot navigate to the release file from within the old.zope.org site anymore. The navigation links there will all break.
>>
>> Can you give an example?
>
> Go to http://old.zope.org/Products/Zope/2.11.4/ and notice the link URLs for the items Zope-2.11.4-final.tgz and Zope-2.11.4-win32.exe.
>

>> Maybe we need to clean up those links.
>
> Yes, that's another option.

+1 :)

I've created ~zope/Products.tgz on app2.zope.org that has all of the
release files in a directory structure rooted at Products. I
recommend:

1. For all html files in the existing static site, remove link endings
"/swreleasefile_view"
2. Walk the directory tree in Products.tgz and for each path, replace
whatever is in
the static site with the contents of the tar ball.

If you don't have time to do this and want to give me access, I can do this.

Jim

Re: zope.org move [ In reply to ]
On Oct 11, 2011, at 20:31 , Jim Fulton wrote:

> I've created ~zope/Products.tgz on app2.zope.org that has all of the
> release files in a directory structure rooted at Products. I
> recommend:
>
> 1. For all html files in the existing static site, remove link endings
> "/swreleasefile_view"
> 2. Walk the directory tree in Products.tgz and for each path, replace
> whatever is in
> the static site with the contents of the tar ball.

I've now done it the simple way using Apache RewriteRules. Any resource path starting with /Products and ending in either .exe, .tgz or .gz is now served from a separate tree. That way I can leave the HTML sources alone and all links continue to work. If there are any unforeseen issues with this approach I'll take another look, but for right now things seem to work well enough.

jens

Re: zope.org move [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 7:31 AM, Jens Vagelpohl <jens@dataflake.org> wrote:

> On Oct 11, 2011, at 20:31 , Jim Fulton wrote:
>
>> I've created ~zope/Products.tgz on app2.zope.org that has all of the
>> release files in a directory structure rooted at Products.  I
>> recommend:
>>
>> 1. For all html files in the existing static site, remove link endings
>> "/swreleasefile_view"
>> 2. Walk the directory tree in Products.tgz and for each path, replace
>> whatever is in
>>    the static site with the contents of the tar ball.
>
> I've now done it the simple way using Apache RewriteRules. Any resource path starting with /Products and ending in either .exe, .tgz or .gz is now served from a separate tree. That way I can leave the HTML sources alone and all links continue to work. If there are any unforeseen issues with this approach I'll take another look, but for right now things seem to work well enough.

Cool.

I suspect there might be releases lurking elsewhere. I'll run the script
I used to generate the dump for other parts of the database, just in case.

Jim

Re: zope.org move [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 8:59 AM, Jim Fulton <jim@zope.com> wrote:
> I suspect there might be releases lurking elsewhere.  I'll run the script
> I used to generate the dump for other parts of the database, just in case.

There were a few releases under Documentation and quite a few under Members.

I've put Documentation.tgz and Members.tgz in app2.zope.org:/home/zope

Jim

Re: zope.org move [ In reply to ]
On Oct 12, 2011, at 16:03 , Jim Fulton wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 8:59 AM, Jim Fulton <jim@zope.com> wrote:
>> I suspect there might be releases lurking elsewhere. I'll run the script
>> I used to generate the dump for other parts of the database, just in case.
>
> There were a few releases under Documentation and quite a few under Members.
>
> I've put Documentation.tgz and Members.tgz in app2.zope.org:/home/zope

Thanks Jim. Those files are now stitched into old.zope.org as well.

I'm going to prepare an email to zope-dev@zope.org now describing the conversion and asking people to check for any files they may depend on (buildouts, etc).

jens