Mailing List Archive

ANN: zope wiki edits now require authentication
Dear all,

edit spam across the wiki.zope.org wikis, gradually increasing over
the years, has reached multiple incidents per day, multiple days per
month. Current cleanup procedures take too much time (and are not 100%
thorough - spam remains in history) and I don't want to spend time
developing cleverer defenses. Therefore, from today making changes on
any of the wiki.zope.org wikis requires authentication (a zwiki
username cookie is no longer enough.)

This marks the transition of our wikis from those early, lowest-
possible-barrier-to-entry wiki days, to the modern era of mandatory
access control. :-/

Since there is no member management software in place to allow you to
self-register, to get a login you'll need to either

- ask an admin to make one for you. The current wiki.zope.org admin
users are: Simon Michael, Andreas Jung, Baiju Muthukadan, Sascha
Welter, Michael Haubenwallner, Fred Drake, Jim Fulton, Ken Manheimer,
Kevin Teague.

- use this generic login: zope, zope. The downside of using this a lot
is that edit history will become less useful.

Also, on wikis using the default skin (all but the zope3 wiki), to
trigger a login prompt you'll need to manually visit some restricted
url. Eg append /editform to any page, like so: http://wiki.zope.org/zope2/Zope2Wiki/editform

I hope this will stop the spam, and not inconvenience editors too
much. Please let me know if you have authenticated and still can't edit.

If you are interested in improving this setup, doing any other
maintenance of the zope wikis, or taking over as zope wiki czar -
please step forward! I'd be happy to mentor and provide all needed
support.

Best,
-Simon