Mailing List Archive

Zope 4.0 successful installation- still missing editing features
Hi there,

I’m very happy with my new installation of zope4.0. /python3
The only glitch found was with the paste module.
That was easy to take care of with /bin/pip install paste.

Installing other products was very smooth:
/bin/pip install Products.PythonScripts
/bin/pip install Products.ZMySQLDA
/bin/pip install Products.ExternalMethod
/bin/pip install Pillow

Now, the only missing part of the puzzle is a tool to make it easier the editing of the files, python script, page templates etc...

How can I take care of this issue?
Reading the documentation, I found that is not possible to access the files trough webdav, ftp or external editor because I would need ZServer and ZServer doesn't work with python3.

Am I missing something? Do I have any other alternative of editing the files trough ZMI?

All my bests to all of you and thanks for your help.

Giampiero
Re: Zope 4.0 successful installation- still missing editing features [ In reply to ]
Hi Giampiero,

Am 17.06.2019 um 14:49 schrieb Giampiero Benvenuti <giampiero.benvenuti@chiaroscuro.com>:
[…]
> Am I missing something? Do I have any other alternative of editing the files trough ZMI?

The bad news is: Currently Zope 4 on Python 3 neither supports WebDAV nor FTP but the ZMI got a nicer editor for text areas which contain program code.

Currently the Plone Community is working on porting ZServer to Python 3 (see https://github.com/zopefoundation/ZServer/issues/16).
This might bring back both.

The feature request for FTP and/or WebDAV in Zope is tracked here: https://github.com/zopefoundation/Zope/issues/649

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Michael Howitz
Re: Zope 4.0 successful installation- still missing editing features [ In reply to ]
Hi Giampiero,

> Am I missing something? Do I have any other alternative of editing the
> files trough ZMI?

while I would generally recommend a separate development and production
environment, if you want to edit files on a server, you can always ssh
into the server and use an editor like vim.

Also, VS Code supports remote development, that is you run VS Code on
your local desktop or laptop and you can edit the code on the server,
see
https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/remote/remote-overview

Best,
--