Mailing List Archive

best way to set up xen hypervisor for this use case
Hello,

I am fascinated by virtualization technology, and when I learned that aws is
a long time user of xen hypervisor, I want to install it on my xeon
workstation at home so I can boot multiple os images and a pihole and any
other things in their own images and manage the whole situation from xen
orchestra.

Before I dive in and do this, am I correct in my intuition that there would
be less overall hypervisor overhead and potentially less mouse input lag
hosting a windows or linux vm on citrix xen server vs. xen running on linux
on bare metal?

The main headache I want to eliminate is disconnecting from my VMs while
rebooting 1 OS instance.

In my experiment I want to determine how much if at all mouse input lag
exists and whether this is an issue.

I want to really showcase how awesome virtualization can be for power users
and light gamers.

Another thing comes to mind, with the increasing popularity of Kubernetes &
docker containerized workloads, would there be a certain configuration of
citrix xen server that would be better adapted to also potentially hosting
app containers?

I noticed ProxMox appear to be compatible with both OS images and also
containers which, though interesting also strikes me possibly more of a
hobbyist oriented product than an enterprise grade skill set, which I
understand being able to build with the xen platform clearly is.

I appreciate any input and insight you may want to contribute, I look
forward to sharing my test results with you.

Cheers,

Anis