Mailing List Archive

Xen nested inside dom0 or PV not working
I try to get a nested VM.

Specifically I wanted to have a QEMU guest inside a Xen dom0 or a Xen PV
on Debian Bookworm (11).

xen_version            : 4.14.5

Of course I switched on vt-x in the BIOS and everything related.

When starting the kernel without the hypervisor I have normal
Virtualbox, QEMU and KVM working.

When starting with the Xen hypervisor no more virtualization works.

Booted dom0 with hypervisor:
$ cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep ^flags | tail -n1
flags        : fpu de tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mca cmov pat clflush
acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc rep_good
nopl nonstop_tsc cpuid tsc_known_freq pni pclmulqdq monitor est ssse3
fma cx16 sse4_1 sse4_2 movbe popcnt aes xsave avx f16c rdrand hypervisor
lahf_lm abm cpuid_fault ssbd ibrs ibpb stibp fsgsbase bmi1 avx2 bmi2
erms xsaveopt md_clear
$ cat /proc/cpuinfo| grep vmx | tail -n1

Booted without hypervisor:
$ cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep ^flags | tail -n1
flags        : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall
nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl
xtopology nonstop_tsc cpuid aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor
ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 sdbg fma cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid dca sse4_1 sse4_2
x2apic movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm
abm cpuid_fault invpcid_single pti intel_ppin ssbd ibrs ibpb stibp
tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid ept_ad fsgsbase tsc_adjust bmi1
avx2 smep bmi2 erms invpcid cqm xsaveopt cqm_llc cqm_occup_llc dtherm
ida arat pln pts md_clear flush_l1d
$ cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep vmx | tail -n1
vmx flags    : vnmi preemption_timer posted_intr invvpid ept_x_only
ept_ad ept_1gb flexpriority apicv tsc_offset vtpr mtf vapic ept vpid
unrestricted_guest vapic_reg vid ple

As the manual says I put

hap=1
nestedhvm=1

in the vm.cfg for the PV with which I create the VM. It has no effect.

lshw says this about my mainboard and CPU when booting without the
hypervisor:

  *-core
       product: X99A SLI PLUS(MS-7885)
       vendor: MSI
     *-cpu
          product: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5960X CPU @ 3.00GHz
          vendor: Intel Corp.
          physical id: 69
          bus info: cpu@0
          version: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5960X CPU @ 3.00GHz
          slot: SOCKET 0
          size: 1539MHz
          capacity: 4GHz
          width: 64 bits
          clock: 100MHz
          capabilities: lm fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr pae
mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr
sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp x86-64 constant_tsc
arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc cpuid
aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 sdbg
fma cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid dca sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic movbe popcnt
tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm abm cpuid_fault
invpcid_single pti intel_ppin ssbd ibrs ibpb stibp tpr_shadow vnmi
flexpriority ept vpid ept_ad fsgsbase tsc_adjust bmi1 avx2 smep bmi2
erms invpcid cqm xsaveopt cqm_llc cqm_occup_llc dtherm ida arat pln pts
md_clear flush_l1d cpufreq
          configuration: cores=8 enabledcores=8 threads=16

So how can I proceed from here?

What can I try next?

How to diagnose the problem?

Please help!