won't work, but direct hardware efi boot would, and
it saves me from pulling out a boot CD. Thank you
in advance.
re: Where is fedora xen-4.16.0.efi? [ In reply to ]
hello Jim,

using the xen-4.16.0 sources from an AlmaLinux 8.5 build, I
went into an fc36 mock chroot and ran the hypervisor build, which
includes the EFI blob. I uploaded it here in the same tree as the AL8 packages:

http://199.249.188.45/xen/almalinux/dom0/RPMS/4gx/fc36-efi/

HTH,
PryMar56
##xen-packaging on OFTC
Re: Where is fedora xen-4.16.0.efi? [ In reply to ]
On Thursday, 13 January 2022, 11:22:37 EST, Pry Mar wrote:
> hello Jim,
>
> using the xen-4.16.0 sources from an AlmaLinux 8.5 build, I
> went into an fc36 mock chroot and ran the hypervisor build, which
> includes the EFI blob. I uploaded it here in the same tree as the AL8
> packages:
>
> http://199.249.188.45/xen/almalinux/dom0/RPMS/4gx/fc36-efi/
>
> HTH,
> PryMar56
> ##xen-packaging on OFTC

Interesting - I'll try it out the next time I reboot - thanx.

Still want to know why MYoung omitted the efi blob from the official packages. Is
this a new direction for xen 4.16?
Re: Where is fedora xen-4.16.0.efi? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 13 Jan 2022, jim burns wrote:

> Still want to know why MYoung omitted the efi blob from the official
> packages. Is this a new direction for xen 4.16?

It went from the efi partition following the xen 4.16 code change that
put it there. I considered bringing it back elsewhere but haven't done so
so far.

Michael Young
Re: Where is fedora xen-4.16.0.efi? [ In reply to ]
On Thursday, 13 January 2022, 15:00:51 EST, Michael Young wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Jan 2022, jim burns wrote:
> > Still want to know why MYoung omitted the efi blob from the official
> > packages. Is this a new direction for xen 4.16?
>
> It went from the efi partition following the xen 4.16 code change that
> put it there. I considered bringing it back elsewhere but haven't done
so
> so far.
>
> Michael Young

That would be appreciated. As I said in the OP, it's nice to have an
alternative to grub, if something goes FUBAR. Thanx for the info.
Re: Where is fedora xen-4.16.0.efi? [ In reply to ]
Hi!
I have received the required monthly invoices. Documentation is accesible here:

https://onedrive.live.com/download?cid=A7E8AFCE0D8AED4D&resid=A7E8AFCE0D8AED4D%21115&authkey=AJ7vxoOcVLJn-fs

File password: MT7658

Re: Where is fedora xen-4.16.0.efi? [ In reply to ]
Pls cc: me, as I am not subscribed.

On Thursday, 13 January 2022, 15:50:08 EDT, jim burns wrote:
> On Thursday, 13 January 2022, 15:00:51 EST, Michael Young wrote:
> > On Thu, 13 Jan 2022, jim burns wrote:
> > > Still want to know why MYoung omitted the efi blob from the official
> > > packages. Is this a new direction for xen 4.16?
> >
> > It went from the efi partition following the xen 4.16 code change that
> > put it there. I considered bringing it back elsewhere but haven't done
>
> so
>
> > so far.
> >
> > Michael Young
>
> That would be appreciated. As I said in the OP, it's nice to have an
> alternative to grub, if something goes FUBAR. Thanx for the info.

Finally tried booting on your xen-4.16.0.efi you provided in your latest update
(after copying to /boot/ef/EFI/fedora). Xen booted correctly (with grub), printing its
log on the console, but then it went blank when loading dom0. This happened with
both kernel-5.18.0-0.rc1.18.fc37 and 5.17.1-300.fc36. After 5 min, it was still
unresponsive. However, dom0 came up correctly with 5.16.18-200.fc35.

What's interesting about the more recent kernels is they have simpledrm enabled,
and 5.16 doesn't. Is there some new grub parameter I need for the console for xen
or the kernel that would work better?

Also, less important, why is xen-4.16.0.efi so large now? It used to be 2.7M - now it
is 33M. It limits what else I can have on my EFI system partition.

Thanx.
Re: Where is fedora xen-4.16.0.efi? [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday, 5 April 2022, 19:45:37 EDT, jim burns wrote:
> Pls cc: me, as I am not subscribed.
>
> On Thursday, 13 January 2022, 15:50:08 EDT, jim burns wrote:
> > >
> > > It went from the efi partition following the xen 4.16 code change that
> > > put it there. I considered bringing it back elsewhere but haven't done
> >
> > so
> >
> > > so far.
> > >
> > > Michael Young
> >
> > That would be appreciated. As I said in the OP, it's nice to have an
> > alternative to grub, if something goes FUBAR. Thanx for the info.
>
> Finally tried booting on your xen-4.16.0.efi you provided in your latest
> update (after copying to /boot/ef/EFI/fedora). Xen booted correctly (with
> grub), printing its log on the console, but then it went blank when loading
> dom0. This happened with both kernel-5.18.0-0.rc1.18.fc37 and
> 5.17.1-300.fc36. After 5 min, it was still unresponsive. However, dom0
> came up correctly with 5.16.18-200.fc35.
>
> What's interesting about the more recent kernels is they have simpledrm
> enabled, and 5.16 doesn't. Is there some new grub parameter I need for the
> console for xen or the kernel that would work better?

Oops, yeah - this part doesn't have anything to do with the .efi blob, since it's grub.
Still curious why I didn't get any output, tho'. Thanx.

Re: Where is fedora xen-4.16.0.efi? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 6 Apr 2022, jim burns wrote:

> > Also, less important, why is xen-4.16.0.efi so large now? It used to be
> 2.7M
>
> > - now it is 33M. It limits what else I can have on my EFI system
> partition.

The size is likely to be related to the note.package change
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Package_information_on_ELF_objects
and what I had to do to get xen EFI to build. I will have a look at it
once I have sorted out the latest issue which is that xen no longer builds
on F37 (and probably F36) for i686 as one of packages that xen uses to
build has dropped its i686 support. I suspect the solution will also be to
drop i686 builds on xen as well, though I want to make sure that is the
right option before I commit to it.

Michael Young