install xen-utils-common. I installed it. But I get the error message that
says "ERROR: Can't find version 4.16 of xen utils (maybe xen-utils-4.16
was already removed before rebooting out of Xen 4.16), bailing out!"

I think I need to build xen-utils-4.16 also from source. But I am not able
to find xen-utils-4.16 source code. I am not sure how to fix the error.
Could anyone help me out here.

Thanks in advance for your help and support.

Sai Kiran.
Re: Problem using xl on Debian [ In reply to ]
Just out of curiosity, why did you compile from source on Debian? They
provide prepackaged versions.

Re: Problem using xl on Debian [ In reply to ]
Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply. I was actually trying to build Xen on the Linux From
Scratch(LFS) system. While doing so, I got "xl: command not found" error. I
wanted to know if the issue is with my LFS system or some configuration
issue with xen. Hence I tried to build xen on debian and was hoping that if
there is no error there, it would mean that there was some issue with my
LFS. So, even though there are prepackaged versions of xen for Debian, I
went ahead with building from source.

However, I have just found that the error is because "/usr/local/bin &
/usr/local/sbin" are not added to the PATH variable. Once I did that, I was
able to proceed past the error. Hope I answered your question. Thanks for
the support though, Chris.

On Wed, Dec 22, 2021 at 6:14 AM Chris Myers <chrismyers81@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just out of curiosity, why did you compile from source on Debian? They
> provide prepackaged versions.
>
> On Tue, Dec 21, 2021, 2:45 PM Sai Kiran Kumar Reddy <skiran@cimware.in>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am new to Xen. I have built Xen from source on the Debian11 system.
>> After rebooting, I see that first Xen is loaded and then Debian is loaded,
>> which is as expected. When I use the command "xl", I get an error saying
>> "xl command not found". After looking at some articles, I find that I need
>> to install xen-utils-common. I installed it. But I get the error message
>> that says "ERROR: Can't find version 4.16 of xen utils (maybe
>> xen-utils-4.16 was already removed before rebooting out of Xen 4.16),
>> bailing out!"
>>
>> I think I need to build xen-utils-4.16 also from source. But I am not
>> able to find xen-utils-4.16 source code. I am not sure how to fix the
>> error. Could anyone help me out here.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your help and support.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Sai Kiran.

Sai Kiran.
Re: Problem using xl on Debian [ In reply to ]
On 12/21/2021 2:21 AM, Sai Kiran Kumar Reddy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to Xen. I have built Xen from source on the Debian11 system.
> After rebooting, I see that first Xen is loaded and then Debian is
> loaded, which is as expected. When I use the command "xl", I get an
> error saying "xl command not found". After looking at some articles, I
> find that I need to install xen-utils-common. I installed it. But I
> get the error message that says "ERROR:  Can't find version 4.16 of
> xen utils (maybe xen-utils-4.16 was already removed before rebooting
> out of Xen 4.16), bailing out!"
>
> I think I need to build xen-utils-4.16 also from source. But I am not
> able to find xen-utils-4.16 source code. I am not sure how to fix the
> error. Could anyone help me out here.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help and support.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Sai Kiran.

This error is caused by a version mismatch between the version of the
hypervisor you built, which is 4.16, and the packaged version of Xen on
Debian, which is Xen 4.14. On Debian, Xen 4.16 packages are not
available. If you build Xen 4.14 and boot the Xen 4.14 hypervisor
version, the Debian xen-utils and xen-utils-common packages should
function properly.

Regards,

Chuck Zmudzinski