Mailing List Archive

other arch
Hi hmm it is possible to start other arch like aarch64 domU on x86_64 xen? --------- Greetz
Re: other arch [ In reply to ]
Hello,

thank you all for your kind answers an tips.

I think the problem is already explained in this post from september
(which i read too late, sorry for that):

https://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-users/2021-09/msg00028.html

It boils down to:

>> upstream Linux kernel at 5.10 does not
support 32-bit Xen PV guests any more.

So I have to crossgrade the kernel of your 32Bit DomUs for a short term
solution - long term I will have to drop 32Bit Vms alltogether.

At least, this worked for me: After updating the kernel to amd64 on the
old xen hypervisor the domUs are now booting fine in bullseye.

Thank you for helping out,

Frank
Re: other arch [ In reply to ]
Hello,

On Tue, Oct 26, 2021 at 03:20:38PM +0000, Frank Schiebel wrote:
> I think the problem is already explained in this post from september (which
> i read too late, sorry for that):
>
> https://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-users/2021-09/msg00028.html
>
> It boils down to:
>
> >> upstream Linux kernel at 5.10 does not
> support 32-bit Xen PV guests any more.

Going to 64-bit PV avoids your problem but I'm not convinced that
the kernel is the cause of your problem.

I am running 4.14 hypervisor (self-compiled) and it has capability
xen-3.0-x86_32p and does still run 32-bit PV with domU kernel versions < 5.10.

So I do not think we have got to the bottom of why your hypervisor
does not have that capability and why it can't boot Debian buster or
previous domU.

As far as I am aware, the hypervisor only drops xen-3.0-x86_32p
capability from version 4.15 onwards.

You may want to ask on Debian's Xen team mailing list: