Mailing List Archive

ARMv8-A Xen runs on FVP/fastmodels
Hi all,

I am interested in Xen-on-ARM, and I want to test and modify Xen on ARM platform. For debug purpose, I prefer using simulators.

I do not want to use QEMU because some other softwares I am using does not support running on QEMU.

However, I cannot find any Xen-on-FVP blogs or documents published in recent three years, and I met many problems when trying to run Xen on FVP/fast models according to the old blogs/documents.

If there is anyone who can help me, I appreciate for your help.

====================The following is the effort I made=========================================

There are two blogs/documents I refer to:

1. (2015)How to boot Xen on FVP(fast) model using UEFI. https://wiki-archive.linaro.org/LEG/Engineering/Xen_boot_on_FVP_UEFI

I follow this blog, and reset UEFI-tools, linaro-edk2 to 2015 version, use Linaro-GCC4.8. Error comes out when running the script "tool-build-v8-fvp.sh<https://wiki-archive.linaro.org/LEG/Engineering/Xen_boot_on_FVP_UEFI?action=AttachFile&do=upload_form&ticket=0060612dbc.fd8d92425699a7d5621e71c63ef8308216153ca5&target=+tool-build-v8-fvp.sh>".

And I cannot use 2015-version-ATF, since I need the new features of 2019-version-ATF.

If anyone needs to see the error message, I will reproduce the error message. I need to spend some time to reproduce the error.

2. (2020 Oct 13)Xen ARM with Virtualization Extension.
https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_ARM_with_Virtualization_Extensions#Building_Xen_on_ARM

I follow "Building Xen on ARM" instructions:

2-1. I clone Xen from https://xenbits.xen.org/git-http/xen.git
2-2. I compile Xen by (with Linaro-GCC7.5)

make dist-xen XEN_TARGET_ARCH=arm64 CROSS_COMPILE=aarch64-linux-gnu-

2-3. About the toolstack, I follow this wiki Xen_on_ARM_and_Yocto<https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_on_ARM_and_Yocto>.
The Xen-image-on-QEMU part seems works fine. However, I cannot find anything about "FVP/fastmodels" in the conf/local.conf file
I try to build Xen-image-on-FVP by referencing the Xen-image-on-raspberrypi part in this wiki.
However, I cannot find any "FVP/fastmodels" branch in yocto repository.

If there is anyone who can help me build Xen on FVP/fastmodels, I appreciate for your help.

Sincerely,
Yinhua
Re: ARMv8-A Xen runs on FVP/fastmodels [ In reply to ]
Hi Yinhua,

> On 29 Mar 2021, at 02:53, yinhua_chen@outlook.com wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I am interested in Xen-on-ARM, and I want to test and modify Xen on ARM platform. For debug purpose, I prefer using simulators.
>
> I do not want to use QEMU because some other softwares I am using does not support running on QEMU.
>
> However, I cannot find any Xen-on-FVP blogs or documents published in recent three years, and I met many problems when trying to run Xen on FVP/fast models according to the old blogs/documents.
>
> If there is anyone who can help me, I appreciate for your help.
>
> ====================The following is the effort I made=========================================
>
> There are two blogs/documents I refer to:
>
> 1. (2015)How to boot Xen on FVP(fast) model using UEFI. https://wiki-archive.linaro.org/LEG/Engineering/Xen_boot_on_FVP_UEFI
>
> I follow this blog, and reset UEFI-tools, linaro-edk2 to 2015 version, use Linaro-GCC4.8. Error comes out when running the script "tool-build-v8-fvp.sh".
>
> And I cannot use 2015-version-ATF, since I need the new features of 2019-version-ATF.
>
> If anyone needs to see the error message, I will reproduce the error message. I need to spend some time to reproduce the error.
>
> 2. (2020 Oct 13)Xen ARM with Virtualization Extension.
> https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_ARM_with_Virtualization_Extensions#Building_Xen_on_ARM
>
> I follow "Building Xen on ARM" instructions:
>
> 2-1. I clone Xen from https://xenbits.xen.org/git-http/xen.git
> 2-2. I compile Xen by (with Linaro-GCC7.5)
> make dist-xen XEN_TARGET_ARCH=arm64 CROSS_COMPILE=aarch64-linux-gnu-
> 2-3. About the toolstack, I follow this wiki Xen_on_ARM_and_Yocto.
> The Xen-image-on-QEMU part seems works fine. However, I cannot find anything about "FVP/fastmodels" in the conf/local.conf file
> I try to build Xen-image-on-FVP by referencing the Xen-image-on-raspberrypi part in this wiki.
> However, I cannot find any "FVP/fastmodels" branch in yocto repository.

> If there is anyone who can help me build Xen on FVP/fastmodels, I appreciate for your help.

I would suggest to look into Yocto meta-arm-autonomy layer:
https://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-arm/tree/

There you have several readme in documentation explaining how you can build such a system using Yocto.

Regards
Bertrand